[Resolved] Image Size Header Element for mobile

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Image Size Header Element for mobile

Home Forums Support Image Size Header Element for mobile

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Klaus

I have a header element with an image width of 2500px or so, it takes a long time to load on mobile (like 7 seconds). Is it possible to have a different header element for the mobile screen or turn the header element off completly on mobile? Thanks Klaus

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you could try adding the Mobile friendly image as your header element background.
    And in the Element Classes field add: custom-background

Then use this CSS to swap the image on desktop:

@media(min-width: 769px) {
        .custom-background.page-hero {
            background-image: url(desktop_image_url);
        }
    }

Not sure if it will do the job correctly – let us know.

Klaus

Thanks, and what about turning off the header-element completly for mobile? Would you have a suggestion for that (as I would say, that a header element for mobile often is not useful?). Klaus

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You could try this PHP Snippet:

add_filter( 'generate_header_element_display', function( $display ) {
        if ( wp_is_mobile() ) {
           $display = false;
        }

return $display;
    } );

NOTE: wp_is_mobile() detects the browser NOT the screen size. So it will only apply on a mobile device not when you reduce the size of a desktop browser.

Klaus

I use “navigaion as a header”. So now the menu has vanished as well…. not yet the solution. Maybe deleting the header is not the right way to do it? I guess I will have to do a redesign, as a photo for a large screen of 2500 px an one for the smallest screen are maybe not managable in terms of loading time. The header element is also really static, so maybe I shouldn’t use it here. Thank you Klaus

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I think the media query method that David suggested (https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/image-size-header-element-for-mobile/#post-1311142) would work nicely. The browser shouldn’t download the image if the media query doesn’t match.

Klaus

Thank you. I guess my problem is, that I don’t really know what I have to do to “add the Mobile friendly image”. If you could just give me a little more advice. Sorry, my fault, but…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

In your Media library you can get the File URL / Link from the image you want to display on desktop. Then add the URL in place of desktop_image_url in this CSS:

@media(min-width: 769px) {
        .custom-background.page-hero {
            background-image: url(desktop_image_url);
        }
    }
    Klaus

Ah, yes – easy. Wonderful result, loads almost immediately. Seems that google doesn’t notice in their pagespeed-result, but that may come some time later. Thank you very much (as always) Klaus

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Klaus

Hello, one more question: is the breakting point in the header element set to 769px as a standard for all the mobile settings in the header element? I guess so, but want to make sure. Klaus

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes ….
    Mobile is max-width: 768px.
    Tablet/Desktop min-width: 769px

Klaus

Danke (thank you). Klaus

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.