[Resolved] Image and SSL Issues

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Image and SSL Issues

Home Forums Support Image and SSL Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Neil

Hey Guys,

This may not be anything to do with GP but thought I’d see if you could shed any light on it. I have an open support ticket with an SSL plugin I’m also using.

I have recently published to my live site from my staging and am encountering a load of issues due to the SSL.

Firstly, some images (and it’s very random which ones) where not showing and it seemed to vary between users/devices. I have run the aforementioned plugin and now on my laptop images show but I have a ‘not secure’ message in the browser.

What’s more interesting and which might be GP related is the zoom on the product images on my shop don’t seem to display correctly.

Compare my staging and live sites below…

http://stage.fickaskap.com/product/waterproof-phone-valuables-wallet/

https://www.fickaskap.com/product/waterproof-phone-valuables-wallet/

Try hovering over the product gallery images to compare how the zoom works.

Any ideas guys?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, seems identical to me – did you get it working?

Neil

Nope, still not working but there is some funky stuff going on.

If I connect via 4G on my phone, it all seems to work fine. Site is secure, all image load etc. If connect via wifi on my phone, site is secure but random images fail to load each time I refresh.

When connecting via my laptop on both wifi and using my phone as a hotspot images load but I get the ‘not secure’ message in chrome

https://snag.gy/ukOi8H.jpg

And the product gallery zoom is broken – can’t send a pic of this unfortunately.

I’m really perplexed as to what is going on here but slightly relieved that it is working for everyone else as this is now live.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Neil

A further update.

If I use Safari on the same macbook, the site is secure but no images load at all with exception of the page header images. I’m even more confused now!

Neil

Hi Tom,

I managed to get a screen grab of the issue with the product gallery zoom.

https://snag.gy/0HWMOE.jpg

I’m 99% certain that this has something to do with the images not being served up as https but I have no idea why. The SSL plugin people are telling me it’s to do with the configuration of the SSL cert. My host are telling me that the cert is configured fine. Which leaves me in a bit of bad place with a live website that is a bit precarious waiting for me to market its launch.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil.

Neil

Hi Tom,

I’ve still not been able to make any progress on this issue today. In fact the more I investigate, the more problems I find.

Take a look at my home page using this browser tester.

Where’s the text gone from the page header?

Also if you click around on that and open the product in our store, the product gallery is completely missing.

Thanks,

Neil.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you try disabling Photon inside your Jetpack settings? I have a feeling it’s causing some of these issues.

Neil

Hi Tom,

You were right as always although still not completely out of the woods yet.

I took your suggestion a stage further and have completely removed all of the caching and performance plugins (Jetpack, Autoptimise and WP Super Cache).

I’ve rolled back and re-installed the SSL plugin and I now have a secure site which in the main looks and behaves correctly with one strange exception.

On Chrome, and only Chrome it seems, one image and my footer menu are not appearing on my product page.

I’ve tried this in sandboxed environments such as this

Here’s the link to the page. If you scroll right to the bottom and compare that with the same page on any other browser you’ll see that the bottom image is not appearing and neither the menu.

I have noticed that there is an error on the page to do with SiteOrigin Parallax but this has only appeared since I have just done an update to the latest version. The issues described above were there before I upgraded.

I’ve still got to slowly re-introduce all the caching at some point and see what breaks. Fun and games I could have done without as wanted this site to be live this week as we get pre-orders in.

Thanks,

Neil.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, I can see the same images in all browser.

However, I’m not seeing the menu links in Chrome. There’s no CSS I can see that would be causing that, and the HTML looks fine.

I’m not really sure what’s going on there – I’m assuming there’s some custom CSS/a plugin causing it.

Neil

Thanks Tom.

I’ll start peeling back more plugins then. Are you aware if any plugins or CSS have ever shown incompatibility with SSL before?

Neil

I’ve just noticed that if I zoom the page out in Chrome. The images and the menu re-appear. Zoom back in and they go again. Very bizarre, I’ve never seen anything like this before.

Neil

Well the good news is, I think it is all sorted ๐Ÿ™‚

I copied what was working on my staging site onto live and slowly built up everything again from that point. I’ve made a few discoveries.

There is a definite order in which to activate plugins and the SSL. Turning on SSL before doing anything else seems to work best.

Jetpack is a steaming pile as far as SSL is concerned. I have deactivated it and won’t be using it again.

The issue we were trying to diagnose with the footer menu, caused by an update to the latest Woocommerce plugin. It does the same on my staging environment so not SSL related at all. This might be something you want to keep an eye on. I haven’t upgraded for now while I investigate further locally.

All in all, this has been one of the more stressful weeks of setting up my new business, thanks once again for your help.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Super strange – thank you for reporting back! Really appreciate it ๐Ÿ™‚

Neil

Hi Tom,

I’m still getting this issue when I upgrade the version of Woocommerce. It seems to be something to do with the SiteOrigin PageBuilder plugin too. I will contact SiteOrigin but I don’t understand why it’s making the footer menu disappear on that page so may be something GP related too. Only seems to be an issue in Chrome too.

Currently testing on my staging site if you want to take another look.

Thanks,

Neil.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.