[Resolved] IE Edge Issues

Home Forums Support [Resolved] IE Edge Issues

Home Forums Support IE Edge Issues

• This topic has 44 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It looks like you’re adding it in wp_head – that hook is for scripts and styles only.

Try adding it in the “Before Header” hook instead πŸ™‚

Andy

Moved it to Before Header Hook but problem remains. Is there somewhere I can re-download the previous version of GP Premium?.
    I’m going to try an re-install the latest version first though.

Andy

This is everything I’ve tried so far:

Re-installed latest GP Premium – no change
    Re-installed previous GP Premium V.1.2.89 – no change
    Switching from Child to Parent Theme – no change
    Disabling all plugins except GP Premium – no change

The only thing that works is either removing that html or disabling that particular specific hook.

So weird πŸ™

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Microsoft is the worst at internet browsers, I have no idea why they keep releasing them.

Been searching and searching, and this is an Edge related bug.

Try adding this CSS:

body {
        line-height: normal;
    }
    Andy

No joy with that CSS i’m afraid.

I’ve just be doing some testing locally, I wasnt able to replicate the issue until I exported the Default Customizer Settings from the Preview build and imported them into the local build, then the issue is present, if I delete them again then the issues goes away!!.

I will try and pin down which exact setting is causing it.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you add that CSS and leave it so I can see?

Andy

Ooops I forgot its not using my Child theme anymore so I’d added your CSS to the wrong stylesheet, I’ve added it to the parent theme stylesheet now too, no joy yet though.

I’m gonna try and import the Default Customizer Settings from my local install tomorrow and see if I can bring it back step by step to how it should look and pin down what setting is triggering it. I really need to sleep now though.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It won’t work added to the top of the parent style.css like that.

You need to either add it to the bottom or use a plugin like Simple CSS.

Have a good sleep!

Andy

ok, added it to end of file now.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s a shame, what works on my installation doesn’t work on yours.

It’s a pain, but it’s an Edge bug. It seems like they have a lot of them they have to sort out.

Andy

Werhooooo! I think I’ve squashed that bug!!!
    Can you please check in your Edge Browser too?.

All I did was add this CSS:

.site-header {position:inherit; line-height:normal;}

So your line-height code was indeed part of the solution in the end, thanks Tom.
    To make the CSS work specifically for Edge I’ve also changed it to this:

/* Fixes hover lines issue in Microsoft Edge */
    :-ms-lang(x), _:-webkit-full-screen,.site-header {position:inherit; line-height:normal;}

I don’t believe my CSS would cause any other issues going forward?.

Also, I have found another GP site (not one of mine) where the issue is appearing.

This confirms the bug is not related to just my website, which is a relief to me as I thought I had some kind of corrupted install/server issue.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome! Great job!

I’ll be posting this as a bug to the Edge developers, I would rather they fix it than add code to the theme that shouldn’t be necessary in most cases.

I’ll post any updates I get in here πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Playing with this a bit more, it looks like an Edge rendering issue. Found someone with a similar issue here:

I was playing with it, and if I added a small margin-bottom to div surrounding my link, the issue stopped: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32313551/microsoft-edge-bug

<div style="margin-bottom:0.1em;"><a href="#">Link</a></div>

Andy

Thanks Tom.
    What concerns me is the bug was reported to Microsoft well over a year ago by several people and it still hasnt been fixed. I only upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago so don’t know if there has been any updates for Edge in the last year, or going forward when the next update will be.

I still don’t understand why it effects some GP sites but not others even when using the Parent theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I posted a question about it on Stack Overflow and was told the same thing. It’s a rendering bug in Edge itself and not worth trying to fix on the website side of things.

Browser bugs are hard to understand sometimes – luckily it’s minor and Edge isn’t a very popular browser compared to Chrome, Firefox, Safari and even IE.

Hopefully they have active developers working on it as it’s the future of IE supposedly.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.