[Resolved] IE Edge Issues

Home Forums Support [Resolved] IE Edge Issues

Home Forums Support IE Edge Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Andy

Hi Tom,
    Loving the new Sections interface, well done.

I’m not sure if these issues are related to updating to the latest GP/Premium but I’ve just checked a site I’m building in Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 (Windows 10 PC) and noticed a few bugs.

Firstly the Raleway font I’m using for body text/non-headings doesnt appear to be rendering correctly, it seems to be defaulting to a serif font, even though when using inspect element it shows Raleway in the CSS.

Also, the navigation bar seems to have some unwanted lines below the links.

I’ve provided screenshots below and URL to the site:

Screenshots:-
    http://prnt.sc/cpcaio
    http://prnt.sc/cpcb0q

URL:-
    http://tinyurl.com/zrtj257

All looks fine in Chrome and Firefox.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Andy,

Thanks!

The font seems to be working fine for me in Edge: http://screencast.com/t/mlVLh4eykAba

I am seeing the weird line issue, but only after I hover over a menu item. I wonder if it’s an Edge bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/1698841/lines-appearing-as-rendering-artifacts-on-hover-in-microsoft-edge

I tried some other sites using GP in Edge and didn’t see it happening. I wonder if you’ve added some custom CSS/are using a plugin that could be causing the rendering issue?

Andy

Hmmm, this is very strange. I’ve just relaunched my Edge browser and now the fonts are rendering correctly. I’m still getting the line issues on hover though. Also on some pages the whole screen flickers and struggles to render correctly.
    I just tested some other GP sites which I havent updated to the latest GP/Premium and they are fine.

The only plugins I have installed are:
    Autoptimize (tried disabling this but nav line issue and flickering still occurs)
    Limit Login Attempts
    Ninja Forms
    Regenerate thumbnails
    WooCommerce
    WooCommerce Menu Cart
    WP Show Posts

I can’t see any Custom CSS I’ve added that targets the navigation so it must be a plugin issue although I find it difficult to believe that any of those plugins would cause this.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Have you tried deactivating all of your plugins to see if the issue goes away?

Andy

So far I’ve tried deactivating:
    Autoptimize
    Limit Login Attempts
    Ninja Forms
    Regenerate thumbnails
    WooCommerce Menu Cart
    WP Show Posts (deleted, wasnt required any longer)

I also just tried reinstalling Microsoft Edge, all had no effect on the flickering or lines issue.

I’m a bit weary about disabling Woocoomerce or GP Premium incase I lose anything after re-activating?

Andy

And this is a video recording of the weird flickering I’m seeing:

http://tinyurl.com/hzwxx6z

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Wow, that’s crazy.

What are you doing when that happens? Just looking at the page?

When I view that page using Edge, I’m not experiencing that at all.

Do you have a family member or friend that can check on their computer as well to see if we can isolate it to your computer?

Andy

Just looking at the page.
    I had a few other problems when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and this might just be another. As I mentioned earlier I did try reinstalling the browser to no effect.
    Glad to hear it doesnt do that in your browser which would suggest it is just my PC. I do have a family member I can check with too who has Windows 10.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m using Windows 10.

Let me know if you find anything out ๐Ÿ™‚

Andy

I tried switching from my Child Theme to the Parent theme but it made no difference, then I tried switching to the Twenty Sixteen Theme and the flickering issue goes away, so this does appear to be a GP Theme related issue.
    Would giving you temp admin access help at all? – the site is live now so we can do as much debugging as we like on the preview domain.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I wouldn’t really know what to look for.

If it were a GP related issue, this website you’re currently on would be doing the same thing. I would also be able to see it happening on your site, which I wasn’t able to do.

Do you have another server or a localhost (XAMPP for example) where you can install a fresh copy of WP/GP? I would be interested in knowing whether you get the same thing happening there.

Here’s a site for you to look at – completely bare: http://speedtest.generatepress.com

Does it happen?

Did you get a family member or friend to check out your site on one of their computers using Edge?

Andy

ok that makes sense. When I put it live I used the All-In-One Migration plugin which copies the database and files which may explain why I still see the flickering on there too.

However, I dont see the flickering on this site or the speedtest site or any of my other GP sites so I really dont understand it! :s

I will be seeing my parents at the weekend who have a Windows 10 PC with Edge and will be able to do some testing.

Hopefully it is just my PC, I will try a fresh local install of GP using InstantWP and then add my child theme files and see if I can replicate the issue.

Andy

AAAARGHHHHH, this just gets more weird.

I’m able to replicate the flickering issue locally by activating my child theme, as soon as I switch to the parent theme the flickering completely goes away. I also managed locally to pin down the issue to being my child styles, because if I remove all my CSS from my childs stylesheet this also stops the flickering.

However, if I either switch to parent theme or delete my CSS from the child stylesheet on the preview URL it has no effect and I still get the flickering issue, even after doing a hard refresh!. I’m not using any cacheing plugins either.

It doesnt make any sense!! ๐Ÿ™

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It sounds like something in your CSS mixed with a bug in the browser itself/on your computer.

Not sure if Edge has an “incognito” mode like Chrome, or the ability to turn off caching, but it might be worth looking for in order to test better.

Andy

I’ve tried inprivate browsing and clearing all cache.

Having done a bit more research it seems the flickering is a known issue in Edge, and can be caused by incompatible apps, in particular Norton AV, iCloud and IDT Audio are known to cause this issue. I don’t have any of these apps on my system but it could be another app. So it does appear to be just an issue with my system and hopefully my family members PC will confirm this. I just find it really strange that it doesnt do this with ANY other sites.

Incedently, I have just discovered that IE11 is also still included in Windows 10 and I’m happy to say there are no issues at all with the site with this browser.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.