[Support request] How to update the theme in the right manner?

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to update the theme in the right manner?

Home Forums Support How to update the theme in the right manner?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Vijay

Hi

Please guide me the right way to update the theme (without disturbing the current layout and settings)

thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Vijay

Hi

The GP premium plugin is updated. But, I am not able to update the theme.

Please guide me the right process.

I have already visited those pages but it didnt help.

thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

So you are not seeing the same notice as the screenshot here shows?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/updating-generatepress/

What version of the free theme are you using?

Vijay

No I am not seeing any options to update the theme. I am using version 2.4.2

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Strange. In that case just do a manual update – so deactivate the current theme, remove it, then reinstall it.

Your settings will be saved as long as you didn’t modify any of the core files 🙂

Vijay

Hi

Are you sure my current setting will not be removed?

Should I remove it from the file manager > Cpanel.

And upload the latest file there only?

Please guide.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

that is correct, the theme settings are saved in the database. But i would first make sure i have made a copy of any Additional CSS that you may have added to the Customizer as a safeguard.

If you’re really concerned then ask your host to push the site to a staging site, where you can update the theme, make any adjustments and then push the staging site to live.

You can delete the theme by simply:

1. Enable a different theme eg. TwentyTwenty.
    2. Delete the GeneratePress theme.
    3. Upload the latest version of the Theme.

Vijay

Hi

I did as you guided but the layout has got disturbed after updating the theme.

Please guide me.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Your site is using a CDN – so none of the original theme files are loading on the staging site as they are looking for the old CDN rules. You should set the staging site up without the CDN in place. Your host should be able to advise.

Vijay

Hi, as per my discussion with the web hosting provider, the staging site is not using CDN.

This simple process of updating theme has become really complex for me now.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The problem is several of the links to various files including those in the theme still contain the URL for the CDN not the domain URL.

You may want to ask your Host as to why the Theme Update option is not showing on your current site. Especially as the Theme is in the WP repository there should be no reason an update is not showing.

Vijay

I have already talked to the web hosting providers. Can your teachnical team check my website? (if given access)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

We can check to see if the theme update shows for us, but beyond that, there isn’t much else we can do. Theme updates from WordPress.org are a core WordPress feature. If it’s not working, it means your hosting has it disabled for some reason.

Also, it’s not necessary to delete the theme in order to manually update it. You can simply upload the latest .zip file in “Themes > Add New > Upload” and it will overwrite the existing version.

Vijay

Hi

There have been multiple support team members working on this thread and each one is recommending a new thing. I request you people to allot me one dedicated support team member, who first goes through the previous conversation thread before suggesting a solution.

The problem here is not the upload option. The problem here is that my existing layout is getting disturbed after trying your updated version in the staging website.

Can you provide a solution for this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.