[Support request] How to speed up infinite scroll

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to speed up infinite scroll

Home Forums Support How to speed up infinite scroll

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    madmanweb

I have infinite scroll set up on my site, but there is a noticeable delay when the user scrolls to the point where it loads more posts. I’ve got feedback saying they think that’s the end of the posts because of the delay. Is there a way to make the loading faster? Or to add a loader animated GIF while the posts are loading so people realise more posts are coming?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The new posts should begin to fetch once you’re 600px from the bottom of the page. Your site is currently loading pretty slowly, which is why it’s taking so long to grab the new posts.

I ran your site through Pingdom, and it took 4 seconds for your server to download 25kb of data, which is very slow. Perhaps try contacting your host and ask them to update you to PHP 7. Then ask if there’s anything else they can see on the server side of things that would be slowing the site down.

A spinner would be a good idea while infinite scroll is loading new posts – I’ll get that added to GPP 1.7.

You could also choose to display the load more button for now – that would show people more posts exist.

Kle

Sorry for commenting on this post but I have a similar question. Do I need to install the GP plugin (from the WP repo) for infinite scroll if I have GPP? I don´t seem to find that setting on the customizer.

And please add the spinner, Tom, it’s a great idea. And more if it woulbe costumizable, the icon/gif I mean.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Infinite scroll is in the blog layout setting: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/blog-content-layout/#archives

Kle

Oh, I don’t know why I missed it, I looked for it, maybe I was more tired than I thought. Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.