[Support request] How to place icon to search field in widget?

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to place icon to search field in widget?

Home Forums Support How to place icon to search field in widget?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    milan

Hello,
    Iam using GP Premium 1.12.3 and I would like to place some search icon to search field in widget in my theme.
    Iam also using Fontawesome, loaded from CDN and I would like to use some of these icons or any other icon.
    How to create this search field with this icon, like in this attachment?
    Thanks for help.

Search field with icon

milan
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

if you’re site Customizer > General > Structure is set to Flexbox then thats how the default Search Widget will display.

milan

Iam using Floats, because there are some problems with css styles…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

What issues are you having with the Flex option enabled ?

milan

So it is a little bit long story. But I have been moving my old theme to this one GP in my sites https://north-vietnam.com/ and https://severni-vietnam.cz/. This theme is fine, fast, everything is good, but in this process of moving to this theme, there have been various problems in my CSS (not styles in this theme). I try to change my very old theme to Flex structure in GP, but in Flex there have been various bad placing of my images, formating of texts, bad positions of images… But I tried to move to Float structure and there have been almost everything fine. Now Iam in Float structure, I tried to move this structure to Flex, and again the same problems by Css style… (e.g. different styling of images in css styles, bad position of search bar in navigation…)

Iam not sure, but what is better Flex or Float structure? Sorry Iam not a professional developer…

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Flexbox is definitely recommended over floats as float layout method is pretty old.

The more modern way of doing layout is usually a mix of Flexbox + Grid. (Flex for content alignment, Grid for general page layout). It’s definitely better in the long run over the legacy method (floats).

milan

Ok, thanks, I will try to change it to Flexbox.
    And in the Float structure it is not possible to add this icon by Fontawesome?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It is possible, but it would require overwriting the searchform.php template file in your child theme: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/3.0.2/searchform.php

That way you could add the Font Awesome icon directly into the search button. It would also require some custom CSS which we’d be happy to help with when you get the above done.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.