[Resolved] How to open menu items in new window/tab?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How to open menu items in new window/tab?

Home Forums Support How to open menu items in new window/tab?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Merry Makowski

I am trying to find an easy solution how to do that, and… no success yet…

When adding normal links to our content on post or pages, we probably would just use the target=”_blank” link attribute to open links in a new browser window, for example:

This link will open in a new window

But we can’t just do that for the menu items in WordPress. At least not without customizing code…

Do you have any suggestons, plugins or adons that would do that easily.

Thank you, your likely newest member, Merry

PS
    I started my new blog on a premium theme from… (it does not matter:-) I went through horror with it for 5 full days, after I uploaded 2 popular plugins, my theme broke the code and my whole homepage was gone… I had enough, I’ve done some research and here I am, restarting everything on a new host and GeneratePress theme

Dee

Merry –

It is easy. On the menus screen, at the top of the screen, see Screen Options. Use the drop down and tick Link Target. Then the menu items will have an extra option that is Open Link in New Tab/Window.

Merry Makowski

Dee, thanks so much, that was waaaay easier than I ever hoped for. I was not even looking for such an option, 2 of the themes I used previously, never had that.

Gosh, I should ask you guys sooner…

It is absolutely great to be here in this forum, I am a happy camper tonight; tomorrow I will start designing my new blog and likely I will have more questions… But yep, these theme and addons and support, everything rocks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for the help, Dee!

Thanks, Merry! Here if you need me πŸ™‚

Dee Broughton

You’re welcome, Merry. I assume that’s a WP feature rather than a theme feature. I hope you’ll let us see what you’re building. I love seeing what others are doing.

Merry Makowski

Hi Dee, nice to see part of your face here πŸ™‚

You are of course right, I was not looking at the wrong place, and when I had my blog before, this feature was not yet available.

Marko

Hi Tom
    Links to external domains on my website are not opened in a new tab. I’ve checked that the option has been activated in the editor menue. Do you have any idea?

http://dev.webseite-online.de/business-e-mail/

Thanks
    Marko

Dee Broughton

Did you do this?

Appearance/Menus/Screen Options/Link Target

“Open link in a new window/tab” appears as an option on each link on the menu.

Marko

Hi Dee. Yes i’ve checked that Appearance > Menus > Screen Options > Link Target has been activated and checked that in each menue entry this option is enabled. I deleted the cache and reload the site, but the external links are be opened in the same window and not in a new one. Do you have any idea to fix it?

Marko

Hi Dee. My problem are external links in pages/posts.

Marko

SOLVED πŸ˜‰ I has installed the WP Accessibilty Plugin and there was a option which remove the target for new windows and tabindex. This options must be deactivated.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you got it figured out! πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.