[Resolved] How to change GP Premium typography settings to REM or % instead of PX?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How to change GP Premium typography settings to REM or % instead of PX?

Home Forums Support How to change GP Premium typography settings to REM or % instead of PX?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Annabel

Hi there,

Is there a way to change the unit from PX to REM or % in the Typography panel of the customizer. If yes, how? If no, how would I achieve this without having to rewrite all CSS rules relative to font sizes? I wish to specify values relative to my base font size rather than PX values.

Thx for your help :- )

GP Premium 1.7.8
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

its not possible at this time to change the customizer units, it’s something we’re looking at for a possible future update.

Unfortunately you would need to write your own CSS rules for this.

Annabel

Thx David. I’ll keep an eye on future updates.

In the meantime… You’re positive there’s absolutely no way, even with a little php magic? I’m no developer mind you, so it may well be out of my league. But I can put together bits of php with a bit of guidance (a fair amount actually).

Anyway… have a nice day!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome.
    I am 99.9% sure theres not an easy way to do it, or we probably would have by now 🙂

Annabel

Figures!
    Thx David 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Thor

So, I’m looking into making the jump to % responsive fonts as well and was hoping to find answers in this thread.

Am I missing something or is it not just a matter of defining html {font-size: 100%} and the font elements along with it in a child theme’s CSS? What else is there?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can definitely add % or whatever in your child theme CSS. This topic is more about adding those options into the Customizer options, which is still something we want to do.

Mark

Hi folks, just wondering where you were at with adding REM options to GP Premium?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We’re working on a full typography rebuild right now that will be in the free GP theme. We’ll be sure to include REM support 🙂

Gary

Hi Tom

I’m interested in ths too. It would be great if the typography rebuild could also add support for additional responsive CSS functions like Clamp? This looks to be a great way to handle fluid typography.

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Clamp() is a great property – but it does have some ‘complications’. It relies on a fixed Root font size, if the user changes this in their browser then the output can vary greatly from what was expected. And fine tuning it may require ‘mixed’ units and calculations in the CSS, which makes it tricky to add this in a UI that isn’t prone to error.

And there is one limitation with Safari – it only works on Initial load, so resizing the browser doesn’t behave responsively.

We’re adding Mobile and Tablet Responsive sizes and REM units which will make this kind of thing far easier and more flexible.

Sascha

Any chance to assume an ETA about REM support?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

We’re looking at August for the Alpha releases of GPP 2.1 and GP 3.1.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.