[Resolved] How to add all websafe fonts to the list?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How to add all websafe fonts to the list?

Home Forums Support How to add all websafe fonts to the list?

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ricardo

Hi,

I think that there are some websafe fonts that aren’t listed on generatepress default options.

Is there any good reason for only showing those fonts?

How can I add all websafe fonts to that list?

Thanks,
    Ricardo

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

which fonts are you looking to add ?

Ricardo

Hi,

I would like to add all websafe fonts.

But I’m not sure if all of them are free to use… 🙂

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Well currently its not possible to add other fonts to the System Font list.
    And Websafe fonts are a bit of a ‘myth’ todau. When webfonts were first introduced they were a small set of fonts that ALL devices had pre-installed. That is no longer the case. Aside from fonts like Arial and Times New Roman, very few fonts are included across all modern devices. And Android devices don’t use any of them as they have their own specific ‘Droid’ font family.

If theres a specific font your require we can help you add them locally.

Ricardo

Got it!

That was really want I wanted to know 🙂

I think I can follow the documentation to add font locally.

Thank you very much for your support.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Greg

David, you specifically mention Times in your reply, but Times and its relatives are not options.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Greg,

Here’s Tom’s reason why he didn’t add Times New Roman:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/font-missing/#post-129350

It includes how to use Times New Roman if you want to skip Georgia on the font stack.

Greg

That’s ridiculous. Arial and Helvetica are nearly identical, and they’re listed separately, whereas Georgia and Times are not the same at all. Times should definitely be an option. It would also be helpful if the font stacks were listed there, to have “serif” and “sans-serif” as options, and an option to enter our own stack (which would then be present in other menus). The “System Stack” option is meaningless and could be removed.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Arial and Helvetica are nearly identical, and they’re listed separately, whereas Georgia and Times are not the same at all.

As someone who was a Graphic Designer, I agree.

This was Tom’s thoughts 5 years ago. He may have changed his mind but forgot to add it in. I’ll make sure to get Tom’s side on this.

It would also be helpful if the font stacks were listed there, to have “serif” and “sans-serif” as options, and an option to enter our own stack (which would then be present in other menus). The “System Stack” option is meaningless and could be removed.

The system stack is baked within the theme files here:
    https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/7b35168f546f83a7abb098a8da3bc0674d49ddeb/inc/typography.php#L945

But there’s a generate_typography_system_stack filter if you wish to change the system stack fonts.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I agree here – the entire Typography system needs an overhaul. It’s one of our main focuses for Q2 of this year. Will be sure to get Time added in there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.