[Resolved] home page widgets

Home Forums Support [Resolved] home page widgets

Home Forums Support home page widgets

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Joel

Hi,
    Is it possible to have widgets for the home page, not sidebar widgets.
    I would like to have something like three columns with text and an image before the content of the home page.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

At this time it’s not possible without some decent coding. I am brainstorming a new addon with more widget areas.

You could use the GP Hooks addon to add column shortcodes above the content, and use some PHP to place it on the homepage only – I can provide that code for you if you’d like.

Let me know.

Joel

Yes that would be great if you could, thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I would use a plugin like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/lightweight-grid-columns/

Then set up a 3/4/whatever column grid inside GP Hooks wherever you want.

If you want them to show up on the homepage only, you would do something like this:

<?php if ( is_front_page() ) : ?>

---  column shortcode in here with content

<?php endif; ?>

Then you would check the “Execute PHP” checkbox.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Joel

I am sorry could you clarify where I place the grid code? Is this in the functions.php file?

Thanks again

Dee Broughton

Not in the files, Joel. Tom is talking about putting it in the GP Hooks addon. Do you have that one? Very useful.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sorry about that, Joel.

Dee is right – I was talking about using the “GP Hooks” addon – it allows you to plug content into certain areas within the theme.

You could also use the “Page Header” addon, and simply add the shortcodes from the plugin I mentioned into the “Content” tab.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Joel,

Were you able to figure this out?

Joel

Hi,
    Almost, I did get the hooks plugin and placed the grid, etc in the after header box, but the images and text for the columns are not inside the box, which is the layout I am using.
    I have created a child theme, btw.

Any suggestions for the css to get the columns shifted so they fit inside the box layout?

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Try:

<?php if ( is_front_page() ) : ?>

<div class="grid-container grid-parent">

Content in here

</div>

<?php endif; ?>

If that doesn’t work, I’ll need to see the website so I can take a look at what’s missing ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

Maxime

Hi,
    I would also like to create a home page similar to your demo page: Icon, Title, Paragraph and 3 colums.

Is there a simple way to do so ? Shortcodes… Or do you need to code ?

Thank you,

Eric

This was very helpful. But I am definitely for having more widget area options! Working on moving a few sites over to WordPress and this Theme is awesome!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I used this plugin with the built-in FontAwesome icons that come with GP: https://wordpress.org/plugins/lightweight-grid-columns/

I’ll definitely begin creating a widget addon ๐Ÿ™‚

Andreas B.

Hi,
    it is also a good alternative: http://wordpress.org/plugins/bootstrap-panels/
    I have tested it local, it work properly.

Andy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.