- This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 5 months ago by annashine.
March 6, 2017 at 10:45 pm #288081annashine
Hi, I just installed GeneratePress here. I was excited to start with my Header background image – it looks so nice portrayed in the tutorial video on Headers. I followed the directions but my featured image is not appearing on the home page. Also, a lot of the page header box settings are disabled ‘add background image’ etc. I searched the forum for an answer and my troubleshooting still isn’t working.
A couple of things might be throwing things off…
1. I was using the Thesis theme before. (Which is the only theme system I know so I’m just a beginner with this new theme). Do I need to delete the prior theme and all of its contents?
2. I’ve already set up a mobile header. Is this conflicting with creating a large banner background header image on the home page? Hopefully not, I’d like to have both capabilities.
3. The Header image I’ve chosen I sized to 1920 x 1118.
Thanks. This theme looks so promising. I’m looking forward to seeing it bring my creative ideas to life.GeneratePress 1.3.44GP Premium 1.2.94March 6, 2017 at 11:39 pm #288105TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
First, a featured image or custom image need to be uploaded: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-header-image/
Then, add your content into the content area: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-header-content/
Once that’s done, you’ll be able to turn on the background image: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-header-content/#add-background-image
Let me know if you need more info 🙂March 7, 2017 at 11:01 am #288380annashine
I went through all the doc-articles before, but I thought well, maybe I missed something so I went through them again (as per your links above).
1. Featured image: I’ve removed and re-uploaded the featured image several times. It’s there, I see it’s thumbnail in the editor, but it’s not appearing on the homepage.
2. Header content: In the content section of the page header meta box I still cannot select ‘add background image.’ It’s just grey-ed out…yes, nothing happens when I click it.
3. Possible plugin issue: I’m more and more realizing the pitfalls that plugins can be. Some can be great and some not so great. The active ones at the time of the issue that I’ve deactivated now are: Askismet, Intuitive custom post order, Google xml sitemap for images, Simple maintenance mode, Noindex pages, WPTestimoniasls-pro. All plug-ins are deactivated except GP premium. Still can’t select ‘add background image.’
Should I carry on with your Debugging tips? *Just a note that the ‘add background image’ selection is also not available on other pages either. Maybe I carried something over from my last site?? What do you think about using the WordPress reset plugin? I’m not that far along. I don’t mind wiping everything out and starting fresh.
Thanks so much for your help!
-AnnaMarch 7, 2017 at 12:17 pm #288417annashine
Updated browser. Cleared cache in browser.
Cleared cache in site with WP Super cache (then deactivated it and deleted the plugin)
Deleted Thesis Theme
Activated TwentySeventeen Theme and I still can’t select ‘add background image.’March 7, 2017 at 3:15 pm #288516annashine
Update: finally used WordPress reset plugin and cleared everything out. Deleted all plugins. Reinstalled GP plug in. Created new Home page. Added a featured image and it was finally appearing.
Page header meta box says it’s using my featured image. I then added some content in that section:
<h1>Find.Freedom.Within.</h1>and now featured image isn’t showing again, just the content text. And I still can’t add a background image.
Darn. I’ve spent a long time trying to figure this out… I feel like because I’m so new at using this theme there’s some basic step I’m missing here.
Thanks again for any assistance. I’ll keep trying until I hear back. 🙂March 7, 2017 at 5:15 pm #288557TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Sorry you’re having so much trouble! Any chance you can send me temporary admin login details so I can login and find the issue for you? Might be quicker that way, as you’ve done everything right and it’s still not working: https://generatepress.com/contact/
Let me know 🙂March 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm #288584annashine
No problem! I really think it’s just me (not GP) and it will turn out to be a simple setting I’m not doing correctly. Starting over from scratch, there’s plenty else I can work on too. Admin details are forthcoming.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.