[Support request] Home Page Blog Layout

Home Forums Support [Support request] Home Page Blog Layout

Home Forums Support Home Page Blog Layout

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Matt

Hi,

I’m using the blog layout for the homepage in 3 columns (Marketer theme), is it possible to have a featured post that stays at the top on its own in a wider block? I’ve tried the setting that has the latest post at the top, but that still has the next post alongside it. Could a static page be created and the blog columns sit in that?

Also in each post column on the home page, can I make the text closer to the image, as there’s a big gap?

If you could let me know, that would be great.

Kind regards

Matt

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Any chance you can link us to the site in question?

You can use the private information field.

Let me know 🙂

Matt

Hi Leo,

Link in the private section

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

The site seems to be in maintenance mode.

Can you temporarily disable it so we could check? Thank you. 🙂

Matt

Hi Elvin,

Try now.

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

try adding this CSS:

@media(min-width: 769px) {
        .generate-columns-container:not(.masonry-container) .generate-columns:first-child,
        .generate-columns-container:not(.masonry-container) .generate-columns:first-child .post-image img {
            width: 100%;
        }
    }
    Matt

Hi, thanks for the reply, I added the code, and it did work, although it didn’t look very good with the top box full screen.

Is there any way of doing like the site I’ve attached in the private information box? If not the 3 latest stories boxes, can the latest stories title be added then separated with a more stories header/divider?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

To clarify: You want to replicate the “latest stories” boxes?

Consider using one of our Site Library template, “Dispatch”.
    https://gpsites.co/dispatch/

It’s pretty close to the reference site. You can disable the secondary navigation and edit the page to add in the “more stories” divider.

Matt

Hi Even,

Would changing the template keep all my existing settings and content?

I’m quite happy with the Marketer template if I can some kind of title/label to the highlighted first article that would be great if that’s doable?

cheers

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Would changing the template keep all my existing settings and content?

It will change some settings in the customizer and add necessary Elements and contents but it won’t remove the pre-existing ones.

I’m quite happy with the Marketer template if I can some kind of title/label to the highlighted first article that would be great if that’s doable?

To add something similar to the “latest stories” box highlight, you may have to make the homepage a static page and place an absolute positioned(custom CSS) headline w/ background color along with a blog post list like WP Show posts within a container block to achieve the same effect.

Using the default setting where the homepage is the blog page is too limiting as it doesn’t exactly let you freely style or rearrange the layout.

Here’s a sample – https://share.getcloudapp.com/xQuYew90

Matt

OK great, thanks for that. Do you have a copy of the CSS code that I can use? I take it I can still have the blog updating underneath on a static page?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

creating the Dispatch header is quite complex, this topic provides the necessary steps:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-can-i-put-something-like-this-on-my-front-page-homepage/#post-1439597

Matt

Hi David, thanks for that.

I’ve been reading through the Dispatch topics, and it’s says it should be used on a clean WP install.

How would that work regarding swapping it out with the Marketer layout on my pre existing WP install?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I would recommend moving your current site to a staging site, then importing Dispatch.
    You will then need to manually change those elements that Dispatch Imported, such as logo/branding, navigation menus, and any WP Show Posts lists ( if necessary ). Then delete the other dummy content that Dispatch imported.

Once you’re happy with the changes you can push the Staging to your live site.

Matt

Hi David, You were right, it was definitely complex. I couldn’t get it to work properly, so I’ve reverted back to Marketer. Maybe I’ll have another go once I learn more about editing code etc.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.