[Resolved] High CLS on Desktop If Sidebar is Enabled (0.01 When Sidebar is Disabled)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] High CLS on Desktop If Sidebar is Enabled (0.01 When Sidebar is Disabled)

Home Forums Support High CLS on Desktop If Sidebar is Enabled (0.01 When Sidebar is Disabled)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    litesprint

I wasn’t using a sidebar previously, but today I enabled it for placing an ad. Even before adding the ad, I’m getting a very high CLS of around 0.75 on Google PageSpeed (on Desktop) with the sidebar enabled (even if it’s blank). As soon as I disable the sidebar, CLS goes back to 0.01.

I tried messing with font swap, but that didn’t help. I don’t know how to check what’s exactly contributing to this, either. Can you please look into it?

Note: The issue isn’t there when the sidebar is removed, even with ads enabled.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I tested the URL your provided and the CLS is 0 – Did you resolve this?

litesprint

It’s still around 0.5 for me on Desktop. Did you check with Google PageSpeed or Lighthouse?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

This is what i am seeing in the latest tests:

litesprint

I’m seeing similar on Lighthouse, but what you’re looking at over on PageSpeed is ‘origin summary’, i.e. average scores. It’s low there because I only added the sidebar yesterday and the origin summary data is older than that. The actual data to consider on PageSpeed is the ‘lab data’ which is below the origin summary.

By the way, can you please take down that screenshot as it’s revealing the site?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry my bad – we get soo many of these requests i think i have gone blind.
    Can you clear caches and disable any combining/aggregating/minimizing of CSS. Then i can review.

litesprint

Can you clear caches and disable any combining/aggregating/minimizing of CSS. Then i can review.

It was indeed the critical CSS of the old (without sidebar) layout that was causing the issue. Now CLS is zero after I disabled critical CSS generation and cleared cache. Thanks! 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.