[Resolved] Hiding date/author/categories not hidden in FB post

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Hiding date/author/categories not hidden in FB post

Home Forums Support Hiding date/author/categories not hidden in FB post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dee Broughton

Hi, Tom –

I’m using the blog addon to hide date/author/categories, but when I post to FB or use Facebook’s Object Debugger, before the excerpt I get 2 dates (?) and By [author] smashed together with no spaces. Is it perhaps hiding it from viewing but still in the meta data or something?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dee,

Yes, the plugin hides them but keeps the meta data. The two dates you’re seeing are most likely the published date and modified date.

If you need them to go away completely I should be able to provide some PHP functions you can add to your child theme’s functions.php file.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Dee Broughton

Yes, please. I tried some but haven’t gotten it to work. I would think many people would want that because it interferes with the look of a FB post. If you have another suggestion for controlling FB posts – og data (a plugin you like?) I’d take that, too, or instead.

Dee Broughton

Btw, I tried the one I usually use, itthinx’s Open Graph Protocol which usually works well, but it can’t seem to get past whatever’s going on with GeneratePress.

Dee Broughton

With a lot of fussing, I got it to work with Yurov’s WP Open Graph. That’ll do.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dee,

Was there anything GeneratePress was doing that was making it a pain to work with that plugin?

Thanks for letting everyone know which plugin they can use to achieve the same result πŸ™‚

Tom

Dee Broughton

Tom – I’m sure it’s mostly user error, but the two things that were making it difficult were the way the feature image is treated as part of the post (so I had to use css to hide it when it’s needed for the og) and the way the author and date data is still in the meta even when hidden on the site. The other theme that I usually work with does not interfere with these two things so it took a while to figure out.

Dee Broughton

Tom – I’m having this issue again, where the date and author meta data show up in FB post.

They are hidden in Custom CSS with

.entry-meta {display:none !important;}

which works ok for posts, but now I need to post a link to a category page and the description on FB is unattractive because it carries the two dates and author. How can I hide those are kill them permanently?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dee,

I’ll look into functions that will remove them completely.

However, I do believe you can manually edit the description Facebook comes up with when you post a link simply by clicking the automatic description and typing in your own – so that may be the way to go for now.

Dee Broughton

Tom, I had never seen that before on FB. That makes it way easier!

Is there no way to hide them from category pages with CSS right now?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

.entry-meta {display:none !important;} should hide them on every page – even categories.

You have that code added, and it’s still showing?

Can you link me to a page with it so I can see?

Thanks!

Dee Broughton

It shows in the FB link, which you are correct I can edit (duh), not on the page. But the page is here if it helps. elt.international/grammarly

Thank you again for your great work. I’ve very pleased with GeneratePress for that site.

Dee Broughton

I still can’t figure out a permanent solution to this issue. Again, the entry-meta is hidden in CSS as above and I have the plugin for Ogg as above, but still, on this new site, the entry meta shows up when the user shares to FB. Yes, I can edit the post to FB but I need it to be easily shareable by others without editing. How can I get rid of the entry-meta?

New site almost ready to launch where this is an issue is in development at

http://www.dee.email/

Dee Broughton

Ugh! I could not find an error but there must have been one because when I pasted code from a working site, the new one started working, too. Ugh. Happy New Year, though! Best wishes for GeneratePress in the New Year.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dee,

So you figured this one out? πŸ™‚

Happy New Year!

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.