[Resolved] Header Video Background showing on mobile instead of image

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Header Video Background showing on mobile instead of image

Home Forums Support Header Video Background showing on mobile instead of image

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ivo

Hello,
    I have a problem with our website built on GPPro.
    For header I used Page Header and put there all video file types.
    There is an image background also and as i have read – GP itself should load that image instead of video on mobile itself.
    Well, it is not happening on Android. I have tested Android 4.5 and 7.0 on different phones, everytime the video was used.
    On iPhone everything seems okay.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

If the mobile browser supports background videos, they will play them instead of showing the placeholder.

In this case, Android supports background videos, which is why you’re seeing them.

We should be able to use some CSS to hide the video on mobile if you’d prefer?

Ivo

Thank you for explanation.
    I would like to achieve that on mobile the video will be not downloaded (because of a data) and the image will be used instead. Is this somehow possible?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Looked into this a bit – it doesn’t look possible to tell certain phones/browsers to not load the video if they want to. We’d have to re-write how the video is loaded in the first place.

I’ve marked this as an issue so we can figure out a way in a future version πŸ™‚

Justin

I have the opposite problem, I want the video to load on mobile and it isn’t – I have added it was a page hero background element. Where am I going wrong?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Are you using these instructions?: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-background-video/

Most mobile browsers should play it by default, but I’m pretty sure there’s a couple that won’t. What browsers are you testing on?

Justin

Hi, yep – was using that. Im on the latest safari on latest ios.. Ive ended up using this instead, which is very similar https://howtogetonline.com/how-to-embed-a-hero-background-video.php and it works. Continued thanks for your support Tom. Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you got it working πŸ™‚

Justin

🀜πŸ’₯πŸ€›

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.