Cyber Week Sale! Get $20 off GP Premium, $40 off our new Lifetime license, and 45% off license renewals/extensions! Learn more

[Support request] Header images that are not featured images on single pages *and* the blog

Home Forums Support Header images that are not featured images on single pages *and* the blog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    yurigoul

Hi Tom,

In 2014 you wrote to someone:

[the header image of a post] won’t serve as a post image on the blog page as of right now. I left that functionality for the “Featured Image”.

However, I’m releasing a new version of Page Header today that will show it on the blog post index if no featured image has been set.

Right now this is kinda standing in the way of a thing I try to add to my site. And I have already seen your video for GP1.4, and as far as I can see it will not be changed with the new version.

I am using featured images as header images for blog posts that contain artworks I made. These header images have a close up of the artwork and show up in single pages and on the blog page for each single post listed there – and that is the way I like it (and was one of my reasons to choose GP back in 2014).

But this kinda takes away from the idea that a featured image is something that presents a post in other contexts, be it as thumbnails or as bigger images. Which is what I would like to do next by adding galleries where my posts are grouped into categories and a single image is shown. And that single image should not be the header image, but a picture of the artwork as a whole (that may or may not be square).

Now I can use a header image to show on a single page using the page header box in GP-premium and add the title as content, but then it won’t show up on the blogroll.

TL;DR Is there a way to have a featured image and show another image as a header image in both single pages and on the blog page?

I am looking for a solution that shows a different image for every post and is connected to the content of the post.

Thanks in advance

GeneratePress 1.3.48
    GP Premium 1.3.1
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Just so I’m clear, you want:

1. One image to display on the blog page as your featured image.
    2. A different image to show as the featured image on the single post.

Let me know 🙂

yurigoul

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply, but there is also a third party: the catalog.

The Blog page and the single post should have the same header – that part is great as it is.

The thing is, I want wordpress to create catalogs for me (automatically) based on tags, and the items in the catalog should be directly connected to my posts. No question about that process, that will work.

However: these catalogs will use the featured image for each post. That is standard behavior. And I do not want the header image to be used for that. And in the way GP is functioning now, this is the case unfortunately. That is: IF I want the header image to be on the single page AND the blog page.

I hope this makes things clearer.´

EDIT: See blog page: http://aliensaints.com/category/works/ornamental-designs/

See a single post (second item): http://aliensaints.com/purple-ornament-2015/

That is how it should be – however – the header image is now the featured image. I would like to use header images, but have a different purpose for the featured image

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m sorry, I’m still not quite following (we’ll get there!).

GP will use the featured image as the page header by default – anything other than that would require custom programming.

Would removing the GP-added featured image/page header on the single post help you achieve what you’re trying to do?

yurigoul

Would removing the GP-added featured image/page header on the single post help you achieve what you’re trying to do?

I can already replace the featured header image on the single post with a header image uploaded through the header box. However, I then lose the header images of the single posts on the blog-page.

Maybe I should accept that as a trade off, but the intent of my question was to find out if it would be possible to have headers on single pages and have the same headers on a blog page containing those single pages – without the header images being featured images.

Thanks for your patience, I have the tendency to formulate things in an overcomplicated way from time to time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, I think I understand now.

Unfortunately, I don’t think something like this would be possible currently (without custom programming).

With the re-write of Page Header coming in 1.4, it would likely be even harder: https://vimeo.com/223381628

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.