[Resolved] GP3: site branding missing

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP3: site branding missing

Home Forums Support GP3: site branding missing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ideawrights

I’m on GP 3.0.1 and GPP 1.12.2, but I’m not actually using GPP (but happy to pay for it to support your efforts).

When I upgraded, everything is fine with floats, but when I switch to flexbox, the entire site-branding-container goes missing (site-logo and site-branding). This is true on both the untouched parent theme and the highly modified child theme.

I’ve disabled all plugins, all caching, everything and still, logo and site branding are not getting generated. I figure it must be something in the settings, because the parent theme is untouched so it should be the default code.

The only way I can get it to show is by overriding generate_construct_header() in my child theme and removing the conditional in these lines so that it always runs whether set to flexbox or not

if ( ! generate_is_using_flexbox() ) {
      // Add our main header items.
      generate_header_items();
    }

I’m guessing I’m missing something simple… but not simple enough for me to find it!

ideawrights

Followup – I installed GP3 on a totally clean site, then added in my child theme, and there, the logo shows up just fine in both the parent and the child. So it must be a setting somewhere

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Any chance you can link us to the site in question?

You can use the private information field.

Please make sure to activate the parent theme and also make sure that it’s unmodified.

Let me know πŸ™‚

ideawrights

Sorry, the live version is running with floats on the child theme and the staging version is local only. I could try to clone it and make a publicly accessible staging version, but it might take me a couple of days to get to it. Let me see what I can do

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Since it’s working on another site and not the one site, it means something specific to that site is preventing it from doing what it’s supposed to do.

Any custom functions? Modifications to the parent theme?

ideawrights

Modifications to the parent theme? What kind of criminal do you take me for πŸ˜‰

Just kidding. Seriously, I did download a fresh version and use a compare tool just to be sure I didn’t accidentally get confused and make a modification to the parent theme.

Anyway, I did create a clone site with the theme set to the default GP3 parent theme and all plugins deactivated. I could give you access to the git repo, but as I mentioned, when I use this exact code on a fresh install, the logo works, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the code.

So I am operating on the assumption I’m just missing an obvious setting somewhere. But it perplexes me and I want to understand GP better because I plan to use it in future projects.

That said, this is not high priority so don’t waste too much energy on it. But if you have a few minutes for a quick look, I would appreciate it. Details in the private information field.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Aha, a bug!

Since you have no tagline, check the “Hide site tagline” checkbox and it should be fixed.

Obviously shouldn’t happen in the first place – fixed in 3.0.2.

Thanks for the heads up!

ideawrights

Ahh! Now I see it in inc/structure/header.php

Glad I asked. That would have taken me a lot of breakpoints and head scratching to trace it back to that!

ideawrights

Sorry, I forgot to mark this as resolved.

ideawrights

My next problem to tackle after the logo is that the mobile menu was all messed up.

I’m not really sure why, and I don’t really care at this point, but surprisingly, when the logo reappeared, the menu layout issues magically disappeared.

There are still some problems, but that’s just because some of the CSS selectors changed. On the plus side, on very very small screens (iPhone 5 for example), the Flexbox version works better than the floats version.

I love flexbox and grid. They have made things sooo much easier.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s strange – so no issues for me to see right now? In 3.0.2 you should be able to leave the “Hide tagline” part unchecked and it will work the same.

Agreed – so much better than the floats version πŸ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.