[Support request] GPP, WP 5.6 & Customizer

Home Forums Support [Support request] GPP, WP 5.6 & Customizer

Home Forums Support GPP, WP 5.6 & Customizer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Vlidi

Dear GP team,
    something strange started happening with the two staging sites I work on (both the versions of the same site).

I went for WP 5.6. upgrade and after that noticed the buggy behavior when using the Customizer, so I checked the console.

It happens that whenever the Customizer is active and I do any changes there, the same or similar errors and warnings get triggered.

All seems OK when Customizer is not in use, the console is silent and GTMetrix seems quite happy.

I deactivated all the plugins and tried with WP and GP/GPP alone.
    The errors are still there with GPP active, while only warnings get displayed when using “bare” WP & GP.

This is the typical kind of errors and warnings, and new ones keep stacking up on any change in the Customizer:

THE ERROR:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'get' of undefined
        at customizer.js:91
        at dispatch (jquery.min.js?ver=3.5.1:2)
        at v.handle (jquery.min.js?ver=3.5.1:2)

POINTS TO:

/wp-content/plugins/gp-premium/spacing/functions/customizer/js/customizer.js?ver=1.12.3

AND THEN TO THIS LINE:

jQuery( window ).on( 'load', function() {
    	var containerAlignment = wp.customize( 'generate_settings[container_alignment]' ).get();

THE WARNING:

[Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.

This I believe started to happen since the WP 5.6 update.

TL;DR:

When I deactivate all the GPP modules, I get only the warning and no errors.
    The same when I use only WP and GP (GPP deactivated) – that same warning pops up, no errors.
    But whenever I do any changes in the Customizer with GPP active (especially on Typography and Spacing modules) the errors show up with each change.

The server seems to be OK, the old site using a different theme and WP 5.0.8 has some problems but nothing like the staging sites using WP 5.6 and GPP. (The server runs the PHP version 7.3 as native.)

Any ideas?
    I am pretty clueless how to solve this, and wanted to check with you.

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

is your site running jQuery migrate ? If not can you try installing this plugin to see if it resolves the issue:

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/enable-jquery-migrate-helper/

Vlidi

Hi David, and thanks!
    I was not aware of this problem.

Unfortunately, the plugin doesn’t fix it for me – if anything, I think it adds the additional error to the existing “Cannot read property ‘get’ of undefined”:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '1' of null

The console points to the problem here:

var containerAlignment = wp.customize( 'generate_settings[container_alignment]' ).get();

…and here:

// If there was no matching functions, do not try to downgrade.
               if (typeof erroredFunction !== 'object' || typeof erroredFunction[1] === "undefined" || -1 === jQueryFunctions.indexOf(erroredFunction[1])) {

..and the “Deprecation: Synchronous XMLHttpRequest” warning pops up all the time.

I can confirm this is not happening with the default Twenty theme.

In addition, the plugin page says:

“The plugin will let you downgrade to a previous version of jQuery for a period, but, as a site administrator, you are encouraged to get the underlying issue fixed.
    This plugin serves as a temporary solution, enabling the migration script for your site to give your plugin and theme authors some more time to update, and test, their code.”

I could live with the errors until you guys update, but the problem is that the Customizer with GP now feels buggy – it lags and hangs quite often, sometimes refusing to change fonts or padding, etc. This is why I even noticed the problem.

Anything else I could try?

Thank you for the great support!

Vlidi

Hey David,

I apologize, was too quick to dismiss the plugin, missed the Settings entirely (it is only visible under Tools and not under Plugins).

When I switch JQuery Version from “Default from WordPress” to “Legacy 1.12.4-wp” the errors seem to go away and only the warning remains.

Hope this will reflect on the Customizer behavior and make it more stable – just started working with the plugin fix, will let you know if the problems return.

Thanks for the great software and great support!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear that!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.