[Resolved] GP problem or WP?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP problem or WP?

Home Forums Support GP problem or WP?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christa Hutchins

When I click Customize, the left side bar opens as normal and all the buttons work. But the page preview in the big pane never opens. The tab at the top just says “Customize Loading…” and the little dot in the center swirls around forever. Does that sound like a GP issue or is it something with WP? Any suggestions?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

First steps to figuring it out would be going through this article: http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/debugging/

Let me know what you find out 🙂

Christa Hutchins

I did steps 1 and 2 with no luck.

At step 3, first I tried to increase the memory myself, but I got an error that said the memory was set somewhere else. So I contacted my hosting service. They are working on it. I’ll let you know what they say!

Christa Hutchins

Well that didn’t work quite as expected! I woke up this morning to find my theme and plugins all disabled and my site in disarray. I had an email from the hosting service support that said in part:

We regret to inform you that we did not fix the issue. Our technicians could not find out the root cause of the issue either.

We have increased php limits for your account, temporary disabled the plugins, changed the themes and checked .htaccess file, but the preview of your site is still not available in Appearance > Customize menu.

We have reverted all the changes and installed a test WordPress via http://doanewthing.com/wptest/wp-admin/

As you may see, the customizer works properly there, so we assume that the issue is related to the website database.

We recommend you to backup your current site as described here https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9365/2199/how-to-create-and-restore-backups-in-cpanel and then to install a fresh WordPress installation and recreate the pages from the backup which you may restore in a test directory. We understand that it is not convenient but it seems to be the only solution.

That is all way above my head. All I know is that I set things right and everything works fine except I just can’t see the preview pane in Customizer. I’ll probably end up hiring a pro to help me try whatever the hosting service told me to try.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Weird – can’t believe they would turn your website upside down and then leave it.

If you like, you can send me temporary admin login details to support@generatepress.com and I can take a look and see if I can spot the issue.

Christa Hutchins

Yea, I was surprised by that too. They have been really helpful up til now.

I sent you a temporary admin account. I also noticed there is a problem with the mobile theme. There is some kind of error with GENERATE_VERSION showing when you look at it on a mobile device. I have the mobile theme in jetpack activate, but feel free to deactivate it if that fixes the problem.

Let me know if you figure out anything with the Customize page! Thanks so much for the help!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I haven’t received any emails from you – are you sure you sent it to support@generatepress.com?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, definitely a hosting issue.

Using Firebug it’s telling me that the AJAX request being sent in the Customizer is triggering a 403 Forbidden error.

I looked it up and found this:

If you’re on shared web hosting, contact your web host and ask them if you’re triggering mod_security rules, and to allow the blocked request through.

So ask your host the above – hopefully they’re able to fix it.

Let me know 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.