[Support request] GP Premium beta

Home Forums Support [Support request] GP Premium beta

Home Forums Support GP Premium beta

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Randy

Hello,
    Do you have any documentation on the dynamic content block element capabilities that I think are currently part of the GP Premium beta program?

I have GP Premium but do not have the beta installed as I don’t want to do that on a live site, but I’d love to know more about what is coming regarding dynamic content.

For instance, if I have a block hook element being hooked in with generate_before_footer but I want to duplicate it so that I can tweak the content (e.g. the headline text of the block, the image used, etc.) based on the page it appears on, is this something that can be done with dynamic content?

Or is there a better way to duplicate and modify the content of the block depending on the page its on?
    Thanks!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

As of the moment, the theme and the premium plugin doesn’t have dynamic content functionality for blocks, natively.

This has been in the talks among the developers but I think this was aimed to be added on GenerateBlocks plugin rather than the theme.

But I believe we could do a workaround with this using Shortcode blocks on your Block element.

Say for example, if your dynamic content comes from a specific field like an ACF field, you should be able to fetch the dynamic values by using [acf field="your_field_name"] shortcode.
    https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/shortcode/

This is just one example. You can even do your own shortcode fetching post meta and other things.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/creating-a-shortcode/

This way, the Block element basically works as a template w/ the contents dynamically changing depending on what it fetches(assuming posts).

Randy

Thanks Elvin I may try playing with that.

The other part: I have and have seen several forum references to “dynamic content” coming soon in the beta, but was hoping to see some documentation on what this is and how it works (I have both GB Pro and GP Premium versions) So do you have any documentation on the dynamic content block element capabilities that I think are currently part of the beta program?

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

documentation will be available once we get passed the Alpha stage. But we’re almost there 🙂

Just to covers some basics, you will be to build any content within the Block Editor using GB Blocks. And where possible you will be able to set a Block, eg a Headline block to display the current post meta – this will include Custom Fields – using the get_post_meta function which can be used for basic ACF output ( subject to testing ).

Randy

Ok, looking forward to it!

Joel

Hello, I’m keen to try the beta version on a development site. Sorry probably a silly question, but I presume the beta version is just an early version of the same plugin but probably with a few more bugs? It’s only a development site at the moment so I’m not concerned about a few bugs, but it will eventually become a live site so I was just wondering if there would be any leftovers (erroneous code etc) or would it all be fixed/cleaned up as the plugin updates to the released version?

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Joel, thats correct its a pre-release version so may have some bugs or maybe somethings users find that could be improved… any updates to the plugin from Alpha through Beta to RC to Release will be cleaned up.

Just a caveat – as we can forsee any localised issues – we do recommend that pre-release versions are only used for testing … not for any site that may go to live production… So backups and Staging sites are recommended.

Joel

Ok thanks David, much appreciated

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.