[Resolved] GP Footer template

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP Footer template

Home Forums Support GP Footer template

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Nico

Good morning!

Unfortunately, our footer still looks pretty boring. Is it possible to import footer templates for GeneratePress?

Thanks for the help
    Nick

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

there aren’t any methods to import a footer for classic widget areas.
    If you’re using the Block Editor then you can construct one use Block Elements:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/block-element-overview/

YT video of one from our site library being broke down:

Nico

Does that mean that if you are still working with the Classic Editor, you cannot use GP Elements to create a footer?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Does that mean that if you are still working with the Classic Editor, you cannot use GP Elements to create a footer?

That’s right. You can’t use Block element specifically because it uses the Block Editor.

But you can still replace the site footer w/ a manually coded site footer using a Hook Element.

If I may suggest, while I understand that learning a new thing may be tedious, it’s good to get into using Gutenberg Editor as Classic Editor will be fully obsolete by the end of the year. 😀

You’re missing out on a big part of GP Premium (and great tool like GenerateBlocks) if you stay out of Block Editor. 😀

Nico

Thank you Elvin for your feedback. You are absolutely right with your comment and you hit the mark. The use of Gutenberg or the Block Editor is also one of the reasons why we are switching to GeneratePress.

We will also activate it in the course of next year.

However, in order not to create too much uncertainty on the editorial side, we are separating the relaunch from the introduction of the Gutenberg Editor.

From your point of view, do we have a possibility to recreate the “old footer” as you can see at the link to our old website 1:1 without the block editor in GP?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

take a little bit of customization but it should be possible to match that footer.

First off set your Customizer > Colors > Footer – for the background and the text.

Now in Customizer > Typography – in the list of elements there is one called Custom – add one of them.
    In the CSS Classes field add:

.site-footer .widget-title

You can now style your widget titles.

Now create another custom typography element and use this CSS selector:

.inside-footer-widgets a

And you can set the styles for your links.

Once thats done i can help with some CSS for the other styling.

Nico

Hey David!

Thank you for the “recipe”. Your hints are already having an effect. We are happy to take the next steps.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK so for the titles:

1. Add this CSS:

.footer-widgets .widget-title {
        border-bottom: 3px solid #00a1b7;
    }

2. In your custom Customizer typograpghy settings increase the Line Height of the widget-title to give it some more space.

For the link underlines this CSS:

.footer-widgets ul li {
        padding-bottom: 4px;
        border-bottom: 1px dotted rgba(255,255,255,0.3);
    }

And you can remove the default link underlines in Customizer > General.

Nico

Good Morning Dave. I’ve built in all of your steps. Looks like we’re almost there.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ok so what we got left for the Foot widget area:

1. your custom widget-title typography you can reduce the bottom margin to close the gap between title and widget content.
    2. the link colors – you can set them to #fff in Customizer > Colors –> Footer Widgets >>> Link color

Then its just the Footer Bar.

1. In Customizer > Colors –> Footer Bar you can set the footer bars background and text colors.
    2. Now some CSS for the top border, left alignment and reduced padding:

.site-info {
        border-top: 3px solid rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.3);
        text-align: left;
    }
    .inside-site-info {
        justify-content: flex-start;
        padding: 10px 40px
    }
    .site-footer:not(.footer-bar-active) .copyright-bar {
        margin: unset;
    }
    Nico

Hi Dave!

Then I have two remaining questions.

To point 1:
    Where can I “…reduce the bottom margin to close the gap between title and widget content…”? I do not find this setup.

And the last question:
    You will see different font sizes (author) and the word “bei” in the comments. Can you tell me where I can adjust this?

Nico

or even better; can we get rid off “Author” + “bei”?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

To point 1:
    Where can I “…reduce the bottom margin to close the gap between title and widget content…”? I do not find this setup.

Doh … thats only option in the default list.

So edit this CSS:

}

to:

margin-bottom: 0.5em;
    }

And last question:

option a) to adjust font sizes – edit your Customizer > Typography –> .inside-footer-widgets a and cahnge the CSS selector to just: .inside-footer-widgets

To remove the author and bei – unfortunately there isn’t an option in the widget for that and theres no filter hook either. And i wouldn’t recommend hiding them with CSS as they are links.

Nico

Oh my god we have it. Dave, thank you very much for that.

The only remaining question is; Wine or beer and where should it be sent? ☺

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome – glad to be of help!!

We like coffee 🙂 And it you want to contribute to our development please feel free:

https://generatepress.com/ongoing-development/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.