[Support request] Get rid of thumbnails

Home Forums Support [Support request] Get rid of thumbnails

Home Forums Support Get rid of thumbnails

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stephan

Dear Dave,

I have been a happy customer of generatepress for years. It’s not my first theme, but it will definitely be my last 🙂

We use a lot of pictures as an editorial medium, and there are several thousand of them in our media library.

I’ve cleaned up this mess over the last few days and found countless old thumbnails that are no longer recorded in the WordPress media overview and also take up storage space. Now that I’ve sorted out this mess, I honestly don’t want to work with thumbnails at all in the future.

Is there a way to configure generatepress, which I am currently running with Disptach, so that only the original image is used and escalated accordingly? Is it even possible to use Generatepress/Dispatch without using thumbnails at all?

If so, what modifications should I make?

Do you also have a tip for me on how to get rid of the thumbnails of the last 10 years in the archive in one fell swoop and only keep the source files?

I would also like to know if you can recommend a tool that can compress images as much as possible without sacrificing quality.

Thanks in advance for the help and the great support

Stephan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you could try something like this:

1. Use the following PHP Snippet to remove WPs default image sizes:

add_filter( 'intermediate_image_sizes_advanced', 'db_remove_default_images' );
    function db_remove_default_images( $sizes ) {
       unset( $sizes['small']);
       unset( $sizes['medium']);
       unset( $sizes['large']);
       unset( $sizes['medium_large']);
       return $sizes;
    }

2. Run the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin to update all the images.

In theory that should work. But please do it on a backup site just in case.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.