[Resolved] GeneratePress 2.3 alpha 1 – Combine CSS errors

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GeneratePress 2.3 alpha 1 – Combine CSS errors

Home Forums Support GeneratePress 2.3 alpha 1 – Combine CSS errors

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m worried about the no support for IE11. I don’t want to add a polyfill just because of IE11.

Any sources for Google penalizing sites that don’t use it? Would like to read up on that.

Thanks!

Longinos

Hi Tom
    I don´t have any source document other than test sites in web.dev.
    With GP 2.2 i get a 100 score in best practices, w/ 2.3-alpha2 i get a score of 92 cause the passive event listener.
    The new file a11y.js introduces a touchstart event that fires the warning, even in Chrome dev tools console.
    IE11 has a global usage of 2,3%, Chrome < 50 has a 1,34% and firefox < 49 has a 0.4%, so about 4% of browser maybe need a polyfill.
    https://github.com/WICG/EventListenerOptions/blob/gh-pages/explainer.md#feature-detection

Enrico

hi Tom,
    I think you can use passive with old Browser using a feature detection https://github.com/WICG/EventListenerOptions/blob/gh-pages/explainer.md#feature-detection

If “feature detection” is not good for you, it could be better to use the old system you used in GP 2.2.

I don’t think is a serious issue not to use passive listeners now, but it could have a little impact on SEO.
    Google start giving warning to push in the right direction, then it change the algorithm and penalize this usage.

Anyway, if sites are slower or could have problems using passive with a “patch” for old browser or using the old gp2,2 way, it is definitively better to have the passive Warning.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Using the passive option simply isn’t an option in that function, as it uses preventDefault().

However, I’ve found a way to use touchend instead of touchstart, so this should be resolved in beta.1 🙂

Enrico

Wonderful!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I just uploaded alpha.3 if you want to give it a try 🙂

Enrico

No more warning in Best Practices. Scrolling is, apparently, faster now. Thanks a lot.

I am already using GP 2.3 in production, I will let you know if I see other issues.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, thank you! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.