[Support request] Generate Press and using child theme

Home Forums Support [Support request] Generate Press and using child theme

Home Forums Support Generate Press and using child theme

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Andreas

Hi Tom,
    This is the first time I am using Generatepress (with Beaverbuilder).
    In the past I have used Studiopress themes that come with a child theme. As you would know, all customisation is done in the child theme, so that nothing breaks if the theme framework gets updated.

What is the best practice to work with the Generatepress theme? I saw a reference to a child theme somewhere (please result link). Should child themes be used and how do they work with Generatepress?
    + Do I loose any of the great Generatepress customisation functionality if I use a generate press child theme?
    + If I can easily use the child theme without loosing functionality, can I then make adjustments using “Beaver Builder” and my “Ultimate Addon for Beaver Builder” plugin?
    + Then what happens when the Generatepress theme gets updated? is any of the customisation lost?

I also have another questions:
    + Once the child theme is fully configured, can all the customisation functionality be somehow turned of or hidden from specific admin accounts? I am building a site for an organisation and I don’t want their admin staff see or access any of the theme level customisation functionality.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance,
    Andreas

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This article should help: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

You only need a child theme if you’ll be making changes to parent theme files or adding your own custom files to the theme.

If you’ll only be using options provided by GP or Beaver Builder, a child theme shouldn’t be necessary.

You could give the staff “Editor” permissions so they can add/change content but not touch any of the admin specific options.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.