[Resolved] Foreground content scrolls up over background (not just a one-page site)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Foreground content scrolls up over background (not just a one-page site)

Home Forums Support Foreground content scrolls up over background (not just a one-page site)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The page header is so tall as you have it set to be full screen. If you remove that option, it will only be as tall as the content within it.

I’m seeing the page header content directly below the header/nav.

NBC

Hi, Tom:

Check your e-mail. I sent you log-in credentials.

As I said in the message I sent, I wanted the full width of the image to display, and allow it to extend below the Page Header Content text. Then the Section text scrolls up over it and hides the image/Page Header Content text.

Sorry to be such a PITA.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Here’s the page header content you have set: https://www.screencast.com/t/h9zU7Y1v

It’s displaying right below the header.

You could center it and give it top/bottom padding to move it down a bit?

At a glance, I’m not seeing anything out of the ordinary/not working.

NBC

Hi, Tom:

I’ve thrashed through the process of building the site. Not sure I’ve used all the best options, but it works, at least on a desktop viewport.

I did run into some oddities, however, about which I wanted to inquire.

I started to use the Customizer Page Header settings to style the blog page. They appear to replicate the page-specific equivalents, but with two exceptions.

1. The Content entry box would not accept CSS style codes. I used them on the page-specific Page Header settings with no trouble. Each time I added them in, they vanished, even though I saved the settings in the Customizer.

2. The Simple CSS metabox isn’t available in the Customizer. The settings I’m using require a reference to the page ID, which I have no idea how to formulate for the Customizer’s view of the blog-post page.

As a result, I removed the styles from the Blog Page Header in the Customizer and applied them to the Page Header on the blog page itself. However, the Image and Content never appear when I view the page. As a test, I duplicated the page, creating an identical page that was not a blog-post page. I did not edit the duplicate, but simply viewed it. Presto! The Page Header content showed up just as it should.

Because I could not resolve the problem in time to show the blog page to my client today, I simply removed it from the menu system. The page, which is called News, is still there and can be loaded manually.

2. I’m using your Lightweight Grid Columns plug-in to transform some long copy into side-by-side text flows. Because I’m not using the visual editor in WP, I have to add shortcodes manually. The plug-in appears to add padding all around the text. (Measuring text depth and to split up your content isn’t easy.) The extra padding indents the text farther at the left margin than the normal theme content. Any way to control it without editing the plug-in itself? Not sure how that would fit into the child theme!

(I don’t use the WP visual editor because it always used to bleep up my manually applied CSS. Maybe that’s changed.)

Thank you ever so much for bearing with me during this process. The full site is up on the same server to which I sent you the link previously. The user I set up so you could log in did not carry over when I reimported the site. I’ll set up another one if you wish.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. In GP Premium 1.4, the blog page header options in the Customizer are gone. Take a look at this video: https://vimeo.com/223381628

2. Can you link me to a page where this is happening?

NBC

When does GPP 1.4 come out?

I sent you the link via e-mail.

The problem doesn’t occur on a duplicate of that page.

None of the Page Header/Content shows up on the page to which I sent you the link. I brought up the page source and searched for the specific text I added to the Content area. The text was not found.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1.4 is very close to being released – hoping for this week. The beta (or release candidate now) is available for testing if you’d like to: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/beta-testing/

The page you linked me to is the blog. Does that content exist in “Customize > Blog > Page Header Content”?

NBC

I thought I outlined what happened. Hope this isn’t TL;DR.

I added the image, header settings, and content to the Customizer in the Blog Page Header section.

The content includes CSS styling. However, the style tags vanished from the Content text area every time I entered them. Key in styled text; save Customizer settings; navigate to another tab to continue the process; return to Content area; and poof! the text was present but the styles were gone. I tried this several times, always with the same result.

Additionally, because the Customizer offers no Simple CSS metabox and I needed one to enter image settings (page-specific fixed-image code), I could not complete this aspect of the process. The settings require a page ID number. The Customizer doesn’t offer one for the Blog Page.

The blog page also has Page Header options on its Edit Page screen, along with the Simple CSS metabox that I need for fixed-image settings with an explicit page ID number. I carefully deleted all the items I had entered into the Customizer’s Blog Page Header section and entered the corresponding information into the page-specific Page Header section.

End result: Either the header image shows up but the header text can’t be styled (with data entered into the Customizer), or nothing shows up at all (with data entered into the page-specific Page Header section).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The content includes CSS styling. However, the style tags vanished from the Content text area every time I entered them. Key in styled text; save Customizer settings; navigate to another tab to continue the process; return to Content area; and poof! the text was present but the styles were gone. I tried this several times, always with the same result.

This is intended, the content area in the Customizer doesn’t accept things like CSS and JS.

Additionally, because the Customizer offers no Simple CSS metabox and I needed one to enter image settings (page-specific fixed-image code), I could not complete this aspect of the process. The settings require a page ID number. The Customizer doesn’t offer one for the Blog Page.

The page ID for the blog is: .blog

The blog page also has Page Header options on its Edit Page screen, along with the Simple CSS metabox that I need for fixed-image settings with an explicit page ID number. I carefully deleted all the items I had entered into the Customizer’s Blog Page Header section and entered the corresponding information into the page-specific Page Header section.

The blog page in WordPress ignores all meta box data – including the Page Header, Simple CSS, Sidebar Layout etc.. This is why the new 1.4 is awesome, as you can use the regular meta box and apply it to places like the blog, categories etc..

Let me know if this clears things up a bit 🙂

NBC

Yes, that clears it up, at least in terms of what happened, but what it means is that (at least under the current version) I can’t style the page.

Customizer Content area doesn’t accept CSS values (no warning! Yikes!). Blog page ignores Page Header/Content area styling/content.

Catch-22. I’m really looking forward to 1.4, if it can style the Blog page through the regular Page Header!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You should very rarely add any kind of CSS into a regular text box – CSS should be added in areas where CSS is expected so it can get sanitized before entering the database.

You can try 1.4 now, it’s currently a release candidate: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/beta-testing/

NBC

All I did was apply style tags. The actual code for the tags is in my child theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would have to see an example of the code you added, but it shouldn’t really matter anymore with the new version coming out soon 🙂

NBC

Thanks, Tom!

BTW, the CSS code was nothing more than this:

<styletag>text</styletag>
    <anothertag>text</anothertag>
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.