[Resolved] Footer Widget issues

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Footer Widget issues

Home Forums Support Footer Widget issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dale

In my footer section, when I have an empty widget area, “Footer Widget 3Replace this widget content by going to Appearance / Widgets and dragging widgets in… ” shows up in the frontend of my website. Is this only visible to me, or is it visible to anyone who visits?

Seeing it freaked me out, so for now I put text widgets with a single   as a placeholder.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Those are placeholder widgets if no widget exists in the area.

If you don’t want a widget in that area, I suggest just reducing the number of footer widgets that are displaying: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/footer-widgets/

dale

Unfortunately, that’s not an option. I have widgets that show on some pages but not others. For example, I have a widget that appears in Area 2 for pages in the “Readers” category but not elsewhere. I set this through the Visibility option within the widget. (See bottom of https://dalecameronlowry.com/category/for-readers/ for example.)

Plus, I just prefer the look of thirds over halves, and the only way I’ve figured out to get that is to use three widget areas as opposed to two.

So for those non-Reader pages, I need a text widget with   in Area 2 to prevent the placeholder widget from appearing, yes?

(What I would *really* like is to not have to do that, and then have it set so that, on pages where no footer widgets are visible, the whole footer section would disappear. But I’ve been using the workaround I have for a couple months and can live with it. )

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, in that case the empty widget idea you’re using is probably best.

This is something I’d like to improve in the theme, just need to find the right solution.

dale

Thanks! I’ll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.