[Resolved] Footer layout element and footer menu issues

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Footer layout element and footer menu issues

Home Forums Support Footer layout element and footer menu issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Carsten

Hi there, I’m trying to configure the Footer Layout element, but I think there are some contradictory settings. I want to display the footer on certain pages only.

1. If I choose to disable the footer element, and then in Display Rules exclude pages, do I then exclude these pages from being disabled = the footer is displayed on these pages, or how should I understand this?

2. Should I instead not disable the footer, and exclude which pages should not contain the footer = the footer are not displayed on these pages?

In both cases I’m having an issue with the footer menu links, which all takes me to the login page? Disabling the footer layout element makes no difference.

I’m using the plugin ‘Nav Menu Roles’ to control menu elements visibility, but the footer menu elements are set to display for everyone, and disabling the plugin does not help either?

I would like to keep the amount of plugins to a minimum, anyway I can control menu visibility with GP?

Regards

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

in Display Rules you must set a Location eg. the pages you want to remove the footer from.

OR

you can set the Location to the Entire Site and Exclude the pages you want the footer to be displayed.

Carsten

Hi there, that I understand, it’s the interaction with the Disable Elements > Footer, which I do not understand.

Another approach, as I read it, could be to disable the footer, with the exception of page xx in the exclude settings in Display Rules?

If not, in which cases do you wanna use the Disable Footer Element option?

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The layout element is performing a function ie. Disable Footer.
    You set where this function runs in the Location field of the Display Rules.

e.g
    Function: Disable Footer
    This removes the footer from the entire site

but i want it to appear on Page XX so i set:

Exclude: Page XX
    The footer will now only appear on Page XX.

Carsten

I see, so what happens, if no element has been disabled, then the element just has no effect?

Carsten

Now I have excluded the Frontpage, and the element is displayed. But the links are not working. As I wrote, there are no restictions for logged out users, but still logged out users can’t access the menu content in the footer. Please try yourself.
    You supplied me with some code especially for hiding the footer on BuddyPress pages, can this influence the general access for logged out users?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Maybe that plugin only applies to registered Navigation areas – does it work on primary nav for example ?

Whereas this plugin allows you to change the display behaviour of Widgets:

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/dynamic-widgets/

Carsten

Are you referring to the ‘Nav Menu Roles’ plugin?

Now this plugin has been deactivated, but with same result.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Maybe i am not understanding correctly.
    On your home page as a logged out user i see:

Should i see this as a logged out user ?

Carsten

Hi there, sorry for the confusion, the Footer layout element issue is sorted out.

Please click on any of the footer menu links, and you will see, that they all link to the login page, even if these are not restricted to logged in users.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

that would be related to the user roles on those specific pages. something within your membership/buddypress page settings.

Carsten

The support page is for logged in users only, but the rest of the pages are not BP related, like this https://domain/privacy-policy, but some kind of redirection is taking place.

https://domain/login/?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Fdomain%2F

But I can see that it’s hardly an footer layout element issue, so i have to figure out, what is going on

Thanks for helping out!

Carsten

Resolved

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear that

Carsten

Sorry, but the settings makes no sense to me.

With these settings below, I expect to see the Secondary Navigation and Primary Navigation for logged in users, but there are no Primary or secondary Navigation displayed at all for logged in users:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

The same for the Primary navigation:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

“Display this element for specific user roles”

To me, this means that the element is displayed for, in this case, logged in users only?

If I deselect location ‘entire site’ the navigation menus are displayed for logged out users as well.

So please advise me the correct settings for displaying both menus for logged in users only

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.