[Resolved] fonts/flexslider-icon.woff

Home Forums Support [Resolved] fonts/flexslider-icon.woff

Home Forums Support fonts/flexslider-icon.woff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul

Hi,

TL;DR – I’m trying to increase my site’s speed and I want to know if flexslider-icon.woff is part of Generatepress and if so, can I turn it off or configure it differently because it seems to be slowing the site down.

This may have nothing to do with Generatepress. If so, my apologies.

I’ve been trying to restore my site’s speed. When first installed Generate press I was able to get a score of 98 on Pagespeed Insights after a little tweaking. As I changed things over time my score got much worse and now I’m trying to fix it. I’m far from professional, so a dumbed down answer would be appreciated.

Pagespeed Insights said I should consider adding a <link rel=preload> for a couple of resources. Both were “woff” files. I wouldn’t know a link rel=preload from a hole in the ground and it seems like woff files are just fonts, so I figured I’d try to remove the slow resources instead of preloading them.

I was able to fix one issue using advice I found posted on this forum (I changed Icon type to SVG under the Customize > General > icon type. Now I still have “…fonts/flexslider-icon.woff” taking anywhere between 2 – 6 seconds to load.

Is flexslider-icon.woff part of the Generatepress install? Can it be removed or sped up?

Thanks for reading!

Paul

Paul

It never fails. Ask a question and then immediately find the answer yourself.

When I moused over the …fonts/flexslider-icon.woff from the PageSpeed Insights report, I saw that the path included “js_composer”. When I Googled that WordPress Bakery (a page building plug-in) came up in the results. I had that installed, so I disabled it. The problem is now gone, but my front page is now broken because I used WP Bakery to build it and apparently it needs to be active to pages it created to continue to function. At least I know what’s going on now and maybe this will help someone else.

Any recommendations for page building plug-ins that are fast and simple enough for dummies would be appreciated.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

Glad you found where it’s from.

Any recommendations for page building plug-ins that are fast and simple enough for dummies would be appreciated.

Page builder problems are normally bloated in general. That’s basically the trade-off you get for making the layout easier.

You also have to consider if they work well with GP. As for page builders that are known to work, there’s Elementor and Beaver builder. In fact, we even have ones on the Site Library that are created using these page builders. https://generatepress.com/site-library/

The easiest one is Elementor but it has a reputation for being bloated. You can try Beaver Builder.

Or you can try having no page builders at all and go with WordPress’ default Gutenberg editor and GenerateBlocks. This surely will be fast and lightweight. 🙂

Paul

Thanks for the response! I’m trying GenerateBlocks now. Still trying to figure it out. It’s pretty easy to put pictures and text on a page, but I’m still struggling to make the layout exactly how I want it. I’ll keep working at it. I like the idea keeping things close to “stock”.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for the response! I’m trying GenerateBlocks now. Still trying to figure it out. It’s pretty easy to put pictures and text on a page, but I’m still struggling to make the layout exactly how I want it. I’ll keep working at it. I like the idea keeping things close to “stock”.

Do you have something specific in mind? Perhaps a reference site you can link us to for us to get and idea of which tips to give out?

Feel free to open new topics if you want to ask for tips on the layout. 😀

Paul

I got Generateblocks figured out well enough to reproduce my front page. My pagespeed insights score is 99 for both desktop and mobile now. Thanks for your offer of help though! My site is https://artsautomotive.com if you’re curious. Not very fancy, but it’s pretty zippy now.

Thanks again.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

I got Generateblocks figured out well enough to reproduce my front page. My pagespeed insights score is 99 for both desktop and mobile now. Thanks for your offer of help though! My site is https://artsautomotive.com if you’re curious. Not very fancy, but it’s pretty zippy now.

Nice one! 99 for both desktop AND mobile is an achievement.

Thank you for sharing it with us. Glad you got it sorted. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.