[Support request] First post displays twice

Home Forums Support [Support request] First post displays twice

Home Forums Support First post displays twice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ryan

Hello!

I am new to WordPress and also Generate Press (bit of a learning curve here).

I downloaded the Volume theme and made my first post today. So my blog only has one post but it displays two times on the homepage. Also, very strangely, each one looks different! The first has the post title and excerpt BELOW the image, while the second has the post title above and excerpt below. The second also has the author name, which I don’t want.

I went through all the settings and I can’t figure this out. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Ryan

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Ryan,

Any chance you can link us to the site in question?

If you only have 1 post, there should be only showing 1 post on home page.

You can use the private information field.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-premium-support-forum/#private-information

Let me know πŸ™‚

Ryan

Thank you, Ying. I am placing the URL in the customer support area.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

did you have a different site installed before you installed Volume?

Ryan

Hi David,

No, it is a brand new site.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Very odd – the Volume site adds 2 x Block Element – Content Templates:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/block-element-content-template/

Both are found in Appearance > Elements titled:

1. Post Archive Template
    2. β€” First Post Template

Quick Edit the second one and set its Status to draft.

Whats odd is that – First post template is completely different to the one on loading on your site, so i am not sure what happened there!

Ryan

Thanks, David. I am not sure what happened either! It’s possible I changed it myself unwittingly. Is it possible to revert back to the original first post template without installing the theme again/wiping the slate clean?

Also, very basic question (and I’m going to look through the documentation) but currently I have a couple of navigation links leading to blank pages (info/subscribe). I want to add content to these pages. I know how to make a new blog post but adding content to a non-blog page is beyond me at this point.

I might be able to figure it out though.

Thanks for all your help.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you go to the Site Library – does it display the notice saying “An exiting site has been detected” ?

Ryan

Yes it does. Also this notice: “It is highly recommended that you remove the last site you imported before importing a new one.This process restores your previous options, widgets and active plugins. It will also remove your imported content and CSS.”

Come to think of it, I may have installed a free theme into WordPress before switching to Generate Press/Volume – but I didn’t import a site with any content since I didn’t have a site before

Will removing the imported site “wipe the slate clean” essentially? I would hate to have to start from scratch!

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you only have 1 post on your site with no other content, it might worth trying reset your site using a plugin like WP reset.

Then you can import the Volume site template again and republish your post.

Otherwise can you try import the Volume site again and share the admin access(using the private info field) with us so we can take a look at the backend.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Ryan

Hi Ying,

I decided to keep the layout as is, so all is good on that front.

However, a different issue I am having is that on mobile view, the content goes all the way to the edge of the screen. I tried going to Customize–> Layout–>Container but haven’t found a solution. When I adjust the content padding (in mobile view) on right and left, nothing happens.

How can I add some space for readability on mobile view?

Thanks in advance.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Go to Appearance > Elements .. is there a Layout Element there? If so quick edit and set status to draft to see if that resolves the issue.

Ryan

Hi David,

No there is no Layout Element active on that post.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Edit the Post and check the Content Container:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/content-container/

It needs to be set to Default.
    If you set it to Container or Full Width it will remove the theme padding.

Ryan

Thanks for your reply. For some reason, I don’t see the content container. I see “Content Layout” and “Content Alignment.”

I also tried creating a Layout Element and setting the Content Area to default. That didn’t work.

Struggling with this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.