[Resolved] Feedback: Font Awesome

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Feedback: Font Awesome

Home Forums Support Feedback: Font Awesome

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sven

Hi there,

I’m a really big fan of GP, as I’m sure I’ve made clear by now.

However, I think removing Font Awesome was a mistake though. Now there’s annoying, repetitive extra work required just to get the basic stuff working on every(!) new website and the available Font Awesome plugins fall back because most of them use CDN’s which is illegal to use without a contract here in the EU..

So.. I’m sure you have your perfectly polished reasons for this but none of this is helping me, being your customer and all, having purchased a theme with FA integration that’s now not there anymore.

No likey!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Sven,

Removing Font Awesome was a tough decision, but I think it was the right decision. The library is massive now, and it never makes sense to load every single icon on your site. Most people only use a handful of icons, so loading all 2000+ icons on every page makes little sense (and goes against the lightweight nature of GP).

Font Awesome also made it very difficult for us when they updated to Font Awesome 5. Backward compatibility was a nightmare, and doing the update would have broken icons on a lot of sites.

I suggest creating your own icon pack using a tool like IcoMoon. That way you only load the icons you need.

Really appreciate your feedback!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.