[Resolved] Featured image crop not working

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Featured image crop not working

Home Forums Support Featured image crop not working

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Orlando

Up until recently, my featured thumbnails worked fine, but yesterday I published an article and the crop looked blurry. A GTmetrix confirmed the image was being resized through CSS. I tried adding a custom size (350×250) and selecting it in the Customizer, removed the dimensions and it didn’t work – the image ended up a miniature of the full size image.

Any ideas?

Orlando

Forgot to add, the…mmm…defect? is very obvious, it has only happened in the last post; if you look all others before it, all crops are fine. Right now looks fine but it is being resized by CSS.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You have a couple of options:

a) Set the Media Attachment Size to something larger than 350px wide (but not too large), then use the width/height fields to resize down. Right now it looks like you’re using the thumbnail (150×150) and resizing up which is resulting in quality loss.

b) Create a new image size and set that as your Media Attachment Size, then remove the width/height values in the Customizer: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-image-sizes/

Orlando

Hi,

I can’t get it to work in either method.

Tried method a) with several combinations, all look bad except medium_large size and 300×200, shows OK but is not cropped, is resized with CSS; that is how it is working right now. Method b) doesn’t work, it shows a thumbnail of the full image.

What I don’t understand is why the images before worked fine and the last one doesn’t.

Any other ideas?

Orlando

Hi,

Fixed it at least for the moment with Image Regenerate & Select Crop plugin, but I’ll keep searching for another solution.

Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Regenerating images is necessary after adding a new image size: https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

If you add the exact image size (examples in that article), then regenerate the images, it should work perfectly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.