[Resolved] Featured image and other images, better to create exact size? Split site theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Featured image and other images, better to create exact size? Split site theme

Home Forums Support Featured image and other images, better to create exact size? Split site theme

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nomadiceman

Hi,

I am using the Split template and see that the design only ever shows the featured image at a maximum of 700px wide.

However the actual image size is 1000px wide.

My question is, for speed, is it best to create the images to the exact maximum size that they will be displayed?

For example, would this page https://gpsites.co/split/2018/11/26/user-experience-ux-design-trends-for-2018/ load faster if it was only going to load the image at maximum 700px wide? Meaning the image has already been created, cut and trimmed to the exact dimensions?

Hope that makes sense

Thanks for your help

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

yes its best that your original Full size image doesn’t exceed the maximum size it is displayed at. So in the case of the Split site a 700px wide image would be adequate.

One thing to consider is that Retina / x2 HD screens would happily grab a 1400px version of that image if it were available.

nomadiceman

That’s great. I just tested it and it did seem to help with the speed

However I’m using wp-rocket to serve webp images and it seems to load but jpeg and webp

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear that.
    WebP isn’t supported across all browsers so both webp and jpeg are generally created. The browser will then request the one it does support.

nomadiceman

thanks mate, appreciate your help

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.