[Resolved] feature image position on post

Home Forums Support [Resolved] feature image position on post

Home Forums Support feature image position on post

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Laura Stella

I can no longer keep the feature photo, the most important, of a post in its original position within the storyline of a post without it appearing again, redundantly and out of sequence, at the head of the blog, which is prime real estate needed for what I want there, the post’s opening impression.
    Or has that changed?
    If not, how do I disconnect the feature photo of a post on its homepage excerpt from also appearing at the head of the post itself?
    Thank you, and I hope this Covid Christmas still manages to bring you family joy. Strange times.
    Laura

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

Can you link us to the page you’re working on so we could have a better idea?

You can provide us the site details on the Private information text area. Thank you.

Laura Stella

Have sent you links to what the post used to start with, how the first page is supposed to be formatted, on the private email, and then one with the feature photo displacing my first page and first photo, without the explanation that goes with it later in the post, where it’s supposed to be.
    Often, the feature photo for the homepage is a blown-up detail of a photo that comes at the end of a post as a grand finalé.
    Having the excerpt teaser photos on the homepage excerpts is crucial to hooking my reader in. Having the first page of my post look the way I want it is crucial to the first impression. No one else’s decision to make but mine, but now I’m forced to make a choice and forfeit the other.
    I’m sure you can sense my frustration, which is why I really appreciate that you are there to help, and that GeneratePress provides you to do so. This kind of help is getting harder and harder to find.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

There seems to be multiple issues to address here so let’s try taking things apart.

Often, the feature photo for the homepage is a blown-up detail of a photo that comes at the end of a post as a grand finalé.

I believe you’re trying to display the post’s featured image on the bottom of the content within the single post page?

If so, by default, we can’t do that with what’s available within the customizer UI as there are only 3 location you can place the featured image there (above title, below title, above content).

That said, the work around is by disabling the featured image display on post and creating a shortcode that displays your featured image. You then place this shortcode on the bottom of your content by creating a Block or Hook element containing the featured image shortcode hooked to generate_after_content with display rule location set to “posts – all posts”.

Having the excerpt teaser photos on the homepage excerpts is crucial to hooking my reader in. Having the first page of my post look the way I want it is crucial to the first impression.

To clarify: You’re pertaining to the missing “featured images” on the post list?

If so, the issue here is that some posts doesn’t seem to have featured image associated to them.

Here’s one of the pages that doesn’t have any photo on the post lists loop in your home page:
    Sample post with no featured image.

This particular page doesn’t display any featured image because it doesn’t seem to have one set in its edit post page. Set one up and this particular post should display an image on the post list.

If what you’re trying is to actually show more photos within the excerpt(aside from the featured image), then this isn’t doable with the default WordPress’ manual excerpt as it strips html tags. If you wanna push through with this, you’ll have to get a plugin that allows you to customize post’s excerpt to include images. Example plugin: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/

Laura Stella

I’m not sure I explained things well. The photo I choose to be the featured shot could come from anywhere in the post, the beginning, middle, end, or anywhere in between, depending on its place in the storyline. They’re all different. The story determines where the photos are. With my old theme, the featured image only applied to the homepage excerpt. In the posts, I don’t want any photos featured any more than the others or separated from its storyline. Only in the homepage excerpt. That’s what I want, to have the homepage be the only place where the featured photos appear. Is there code that can disable the featured image from the posts (as featured, not disabled from being in their proper place) and apply them only to the homepage?
    And yes, all my posts have a featured image on the homepage (and only on the homepage). You found one of the posts I was experimenting with, trying to figure out what was wrong.
    I hope that clears things up a bit.
    Thanks again.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Absolutely – this should help: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adjusting-the-featured-images/

If you click on the “Posts” tab, you can uncheck the Display featured images checkbox, and it will remove it from the single posts.

Let us know if that does it or not 🙂

Laura Stella

The only “Posts” tab I know of is on the old WordPress dashboard, not any of the GeneratePress pages, and I don’t see a Display featured images checkbox. Where is it?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The option Tom is referring to is under Customizer > Layout > Blog.

Make sure you have the Blog module activated:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/installing-gp-premium/#activate-your-modules

Laura Stella

Found it. Doesn’t work. It gets rid of the featured image for both the post and the homepage. Both places or none. I need it on the homepage, but not the post.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Just to make sure, the home page you are referring to is the posts/blog page?

If so WordPress doesn’t support a featured image on the posts/blog page.

We will have to add that in but please confirm that we are on the same page here.

Laura Stella

Yes! Customizer> Layout> Blog did it. I also found it on the editing sidebar, where you have the options of editing the post or the blog. Post does it. Thank you, Tom, Leo and Elvin!!! And have a Merry Christmas, all of you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad we could help 🙂

Laura Stella

The feature image position on the homepage – Customizer > Layout > Blog > Featured Images > Alignment.
    Nothing changes whether I align it left, center, or right. Have I set the side padding somewhere and not know it?
    Let me know if you need me to open another topic.
    Thanks all.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

A new topic would be good and the link to the site would be good.

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.