[Resolved] Favicon not rendering in google search

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Favicon not rendering in google search

Home Forums Support Favicon not rendering in google search

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff

Hello. I’ve been using wordpress for years and GP for the last couple. Everything has been working well, but I’ve run in to an issue getting the favicon to display in google search. I added one via the site identity>site icon route, and followed google’s guidelines for favicons. I even cleared my browser cache, and while the favicon will render in the broswer tab, it does not show up in the search results (the default globe icon from google appears). The icon isn’t inappropriate, it’s a PNG file, 144×144 (but I tried 48×48 and it still didn’t render).

I’m thinking it could be a crawl issue, the favicons are new and google may need to crawl the page. Do I need to literally call this file “favicon.ico” like the forums have been talking about? I’m unclear on that part. Again, shows up in broswer tab, but won’t render in search.

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Jeff,

Maybe give this a shot:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/favicon-for-media-files/#post-937434

Let me know if this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeff

Thanks Leo, I saw that thread before I posted here. My primary question, as I asked above, does the file need to be literally named as “favicon.ico”? Because my current one is not. It’s a .png file with a different name, but in the wordpress media gallery so it is crawl-able.

I’m not sure if GP or WP re-names a site identity>site icon image to the favicon.ico, I tried to find it via direct URL search and nothing was found. I may need to create a version of the image in an .ico format if needed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

To my understanding, it would need to be named as favicon.ico ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeff

Have a clarification since the icons now work, I didn’t change it to an .ico file, hope this helps others.

Google has guidelines on favicons, just search for them. Sizes can be in increments of 48px, which I followed. I put the image (a .png file) in the customizer>site identity>site icon section. It was a crawl issue, google took about a week to get the images indexed for three of my sites, but it worked fine. Just took a while.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome!

Thanks for posting the solution.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.