[Support request] Extra "hidden" padding & Missing search icon

Home Forums Support [Support request] Extra "hidden" padding & Missing search icon

Home Forums Support Extra "hidden" padding & Missing search icon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jessica

I’ve been searching & scrubbing and can’t find where but:

At the point of 1075px wide I am getting a horizontal scroll, suggesting either hidden padding or something

Hidden padding or pixels at 1075px wide

The layout width is set to max 1040px and the first media query breakpoint isn’t until 938px. I checked all my padding(s) and even removed them all over to test and I can’t get rid of the extra width.
    Any ideas?

And: Missing search icon on devices
    Also, I can’t seem to figure out why the search icon is not showing up on mobile (literally, on a phone). On the desktop/laptop version, when I resize, it is visible. I’ve cleared caches, et al and am stumped. Is this a known thing?

Jessica

I think I might have found 1 possible cause: The Main Nav Width (default).

I changed things around to center/center (logo/nav) and as soon as it snaps into mobile layout (exactly 768px wide) the navigation elements go into “hamburger icon + search icon”. However that is when the extra width is showing again.

I’ll keep digging but I haven’t added any extra styles (definitely not padding) to the right/left of these elements.

Jessica

Screenshot of how I got rid of the horizontal scroll

removed horizontal scroll

However, I prefer the original “inline” layout – just can’t get it back without the horizontal scroll.

Hope this helps.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s strange, are you getting the same thing on the demo? http://demo.generatepress.com

Jessica

Hm. No. So that means I must have done something to screw it’s up.

What is strange is that your menu behaves perfectly. I had to add styles to get the elements in place.

If I have the navigation float right vs. centered on the desktop version, the mobile and sticky display are not like demo.

I’ll scrub my style sheet. It sounds more likely that I forgot about something I did that’s offsettuing things.

Stay tuned. Thanks!

Jessica

Alright –> Getting somewhere!!! πŸ˜€

I scrubbed and removed any reference to the navigation (main, sticky or otherwise) and I’m still getting the extra padding (causing the horizontal scroll at the 768px break point & the search icon disappears on mobile).

I could be very overtired/under-slept/under-caffienated. Anything is possible πŸ˜‰

I’ll upload the dev site to a staging server so you can see, unless I find it. I’m totally stumped.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Me being able to see it will definitely help πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Think I found it.

Try adding this CSS:

.search-item .screen-reader-text {
        top: 0;
        right: 0;
    }
    Jessica

Thanks Tom. Going to try now.

I have a little stage fright posting a link to an unfinished site here (publicly) as its for a startup. :/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.