[Support request] Excerpts Not Working in WordSmith

Home Forums Support [Support request] Excerpts Not Working in WordSmith

Home Forums Support Excerpts Not Working in WordSmith

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jacqueline

I had someone helping me with my site, and they got stuck on this so now I’m on my own trying to figure it out so I can go live on 2/29. Excerpts show up on the Blog page, but not on Home Page. I’ve read another post on here about this exact thing, but nothing worked. Here’s the code from my Home Page and I don’t see the code you said to look for to replace, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place:O

[wp_show_posts id=”1178″]

Jacqueline

I found the admin panel, but per the instructions I found here, still no luck. And I’m scared to make changes to my theme:O

https://www.greengeeks.com/tutorials/article/how-to-show-a-wordpress-excerpt-in-your-theme/

This article told me to look in the archive, index and category .php files for all instances of “<?php the_content(); >”, to replace with “<?php the_excerpt(); >”

First, it didn’t have a .php file named Category (which makes me wonder if that’s a problem, since I use them on my site). Second, I didn’t find that code in either of the other recommended files (archive and index), but did find it in some of the additional files named content-link.php; content-page.php; content-single.php; content.php

I hope someone can help me. I’ve hired two people and missed a couple of launch dates because people recommend this or that (in this cases, excerpts:), and then get stuck. I’m wondering if a different theme supports them better as this seems like a lot to have to go through…

Also, I read this in the same article: “Static pages, such as those used for a landing page, do not have access to an excerpt. This is because of the nature of the page when compared to posts. The system simply does not organize pages the same way as it does for posts.” Despite that, it seems like on another poster on here, it got sorted out somehow:(

Help!?!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Is your “Excerpt” metabox in each post empty? It looks like they may be full of empty spaces.

If you delete those spaces, the excerpt should appear.

Let me know 🙂

Jacqueline

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. Yeah, a bunch of them are empty right now:) However, several of the newer ones aren’t, and those are the ones on the Home page. I’ve also set up some of the older ones as excerpts as well (tested that theory), and added the text at the bottom there. Nada. I’m a Taurus my friend – very, very stubborn – and tried about everything I could before making this post.

Also, I was wrong, they aren’t coming up as excerpts on the posts page (Stories through Art) now either. I’m thinking there might be some custom code left in there somewhere from the last guy that worked on it for me that isn’t jiving with something, but can’t swear to it. My brain is mush.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome and appreciated!

Thanks again,
    Jackie

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you guide us to the page in question?

The link you provided isn’t working.

You can edit the original topic to edit/confirm the URL.

Let me know 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.