[Resolved] Edit comment cookies text "Save my name, email, and website . . ."

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Edit comment cookies text "Save my name, email, and website . . ."

Home Forums Support Edit comment cookies text "Save my name, email, and website . . ."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Flavio

Hello,

I’d like to edit the cookie opt-in checkbox text “Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.”

Basically I’d like to remove the word “website” as my comment post section does not have a Website field.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lyle

Hi Flavio,

You can do so with the Loco Translate plugin. I just tried it and it works fine πŸ™‚ Keep in mind that this text is coming from WordPress and not GeneratePress (or any theme); the theme just controls how it looks.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/loco-translate/

Cheers!
    Lyle

Flavio

Thanks Lyle.

While plugins are great, I am trying to limit their number as much as possible. I’m a minimalist πŸ™‚

I just need to either find the exact location of this text (file name) or simply edit via CSS. I can take care of the rest afterwards.

Again, thank you for the reply and for the plugin tip!

Flavio

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Give this a shot:

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_filter_comment_fields', 20 );
    function tu_filter_comment_fields( $fields ) {
        $commenter = wp_get_current_commenter();

$consent   = empty( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) ? '' : ' checked="checked"';

$fields['cookies'] = '<p class="comment-form-cookies-consent"><input id="wp-comment-cookies-consent" name="wp-comment-cookies-consent" type="checkbox" value="yes"' . $consent . ' />' . '<label for="wp-comment-cookies-consent">TEXT FOR CHECKBOX HERE</label></p>';

return $fields;
    }
    Lyle

Unfortunately, it’s not a “text” file but in one of the core WP php files, the editing of which is not recommended as they will be negated on the next update.

Once you do the edit with Loco Translate, you can delete the plugin as it creates a file with the change that is update safe πŸ™‚

Flavio

Thank you Tom and Lyle.

I didn’t use your suggestions, but I was able to make the edit I needed (remove the word “website” from the opt-in label text).

Your help was very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.