[Resolved] Displaying only child menu items of parent menu items in sidebar

Home Forums Support Displaying only child menu items of parent menu items in sidebar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    onlyonemj

This is a bit tricky. Has anybody experimented with or found an easy way to display only the child menu items of a given parent menu item in sidebars?

I have a preference on hard-coding than using a plugin to limit bloat. But if hard-coding is complicated then a plugin will have to do.

Here’s a visual presentation of what I’m trying to achieve:

This is the normal navigation menu structure. We are focusing on the RENTING & BUYING > BUYING IN LONDON structure here:

Normal main menu structure

When you click on the Aquisitions Case Studies submenu item, this is what comes up on that page’s sidebar:

Sidebar nested/tabbed menu showing child items

As you can see, it shows all the child menu items of RENTING & BUYING as tabs/nested menu within the sidebar.

Can this be achieved easily?

GeneratePress 1.3.48
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I believe this user was looking for the same thing but unfortunately it’s not easily achievable.

Check out this topic for more info: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/sidebar-sub-navigation/

onlyonemj

Thank you for the reference Leo. I managed to get it to work the way I wanted using the hard-coded method as per link Tom suggested. I’m not sure why Les was not able to implement it.

Here’s a screenshot of what I achieved after some CSS tweaks:

Coded sidebar child menu items

Link for code used: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-display-a-list-of-child-pages-for-a-parent-page-in-wordpress/

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.