[Resolved] Display "Time ago"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Display "Time ago"

Home Forums Support Display "Time ago"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    themedleb

How to display “Time ago” instead of regular date/time for posts and everything in the website?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    themedleb

It’s working, but it is good for only Latin websites, for Arabic (and maybe Hebrew too) the syntax isn’t correct, in Latin we can say “1 minute/hour/day/week/month/year” and everything above 1 will be called “minutes/hours/days/weeks/months/years”, but in Arabic it’s different, for 1 we say minute, from 2 to 10 we call them minutes, and from 11 and above we call them minute.

“The time ago” plugin doesn’t give this syntax, so the websites wouldn’t look translated properly, I already used the plugin “Meks Time Ago” and it worked so fine without any manual translation needed, I think because it uses the built-in “human time diff” of WordPress, this plugin works in archive pages and I think in everything else except the Page Headers, it stays with regular time, before the last updates of the theme it used to work even in Page Header using “Meks Time Ago” plugin, now it doesn’t.

Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So it’s working everything but inside Page Headers? The Page Header module uses core functionality to build the date, so it should work the same there as anywhere else.

themedleb

Sorry for the late reply.

I know … because it was working, but in the last updates I think something changed in the theme or in the Page Header (in GPP) that made it stop working on just the Page Header.

themedleb

I have found this filter function:

function time_ago_date(  $the_date) {

return human_time_diff( get_the_time('U'), current_time('timestamp') ) . ' ' .__( 'since' );
    }
    add_filter( 'get_the_date', 'time_ago_date', 10, 1 );

It works as needed in your theme, but I need to put the word “since” in the beginning of the sentence to look properly in Arabic, however I try to move it, it shows an error before things get saved.

themedleb

I get this, just wrote it like that and it worked:

return 'Since'. human_time_diff( get_the_time('U'), current_time('timestamp') );

Now can you tell me please how can I make this function filter work with updated time too?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Instead of get_the_time( 'U' ), you would use get_the_modified_time( 'U' ) for the updated time.

themedleb

Thanks, I made it like that:

function time_ago_date(  $the_date) {

return 'Since'. human_time_diff( get_the_time('U'), current_time('timestamp') );
    return 'Since'. human_time_diff( get_the_modified_time('U'), current_time('timestamp') );
    }

But it didn’t work.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You could do something like this:

function time_ago_date( $the_date ) {
        $time = human_time_diff( get_the_time('U'), current_time('timestamp') );
        $updated = human_time_diff( get_the_modified_time('U'), current_time('timestamp') );

return sprintf( 'Since %1$s. Updated %2$s',
            $time,
            $updated
        );
    }
    themedleb

Thank you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re welcome 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.