[Support request] Display related articles from that category on sidebar widget

Home Forums Support Display related articles from that category on sidebar widget

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hilton

Hi, I would like to use a widget in the sidebar of the single posts with the most recent articles in the category to which it belongs. How can I do this, preferably in the simplest way that does not overload the database or that does not need to install any plugin. Thanks

Hilton

Just complementing, I want to display in the article sidebar a list of 5 recent articles from that category to which it belongs. I’m using the code below in functions.php to show the 5 posts (from category 62 in this case). Is there a way to write this code so that it is optimised, and I don’t have to rewrite everything for each new category? I have several categories. Thanks

/** 
      * function to add recent posts widget 
      */ 
    function wpcat_postsbycategory_musculacao() {
     // the query
     $the_query = new WP_Query( array( 'cat' => '62', 'posts_per_page' => 5 ) ); 
     // The Loop
     if ( $the_query->have_posts() ) {
         $string .= '<ul class="postsbytag widget_recent_entries">';
         while ( $the_query->have_posts() ) {
             $the_query->the_post();
                 if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) {
                 $string .= '<li>';
                 $string .= '<a href="' . get_the_permalink() .'" rel="bookmark">' . get_the_post_thumbnail($post_id, array( 80, 80) ) . get_the_title() .'</a></li>';
                 } else { 
                 // if no featured image is found
                 $string .= '<li><a href="' . get_the_permalink() .'" rel="bookmark">' . get_the_title() .'</a></li>';
                 }
                 }
         } else {
         // no posts found
     }
     $string .= '</ul>';
     return $string;
     /* Restore original Post Data */
     wp_reset_postdata();
     }
     // Add a shortcode
     add_shortcode('categoryposts-musculacao', 'wpcat_postsbycategory_musculacao');

/** 
      * function to change search widget placeholder 
      */
     function db_search_form_placeholder( $html ) {
            $html = str_replace( 'placeholder="Pesquisar ', 'placeholder="Buscar ', $html );
            return $html;
    }
    add_filter( 'get_search_form', 'db_search_form_placeholder' );
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m not sure where that code comes from but a plugin like this would probably be your best bet if you aren’t comfortable with custom coding:
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/contextual-related-posts/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.