[Support request] Dispatch theme link colors

Home Forums Support [Support request] Dispatch theme link colors

Home Forums Support Dispatch theme link colors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Randy

I’m building a new site using Dispatch from the Site Library: https://what-its-like-to.com

There’s one thing that I can’t quite conquer: the default link colors — garish red(!?).

The page that talks about custom color overrides doesn’t address that horribly stand-out color — #ff1956 — which isn’t mentioned in the style sheet (not in that format, anyway). If I use standard “a link” styles, it breaks (sometimes, but not all the time …sigh) the white fonts in the front page hero area, which I do like.

So how do I change the a link, a hover, etc. colors without affecting the hero grid font color? Ideally, I’d also like to add some shadowing to those white fonts so they are still readable when the text is over white areas of the underlying photo.

Thanks.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

That garish red color for links is being applied from Appearance > Customize > Colors > Body. The color you see and set on the Link Color.

This shouldn’t affect the grid font color as that already has its own CSS written for it.

Randy

Ahhhhhhh! Thank you Elvin!

Part 2 of my question is, where is the CSS for the grid so I can add some shadowing?

Also, “archive” pages come out spaced like this:

“Posted March 1, 2021 in CategoriesCool, ProfessionalLeave a comment”

1) How do I get a proper space in between “Categories” and the category list, and

2) I’d like to remove the “Leave a Comment” part on archive pages but of course leave it intact on “Single” (post) pages.

Can you help with those? Thanks again.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

For #1:

I don’t see the word “Categories”. Here’s what I see on my end:
    https://share.getcloudapp.com/4gu1WlgE

The category list output is generally filtered with generate_category_list_output filter:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_category_list_output/

You can edit the returned sprintf value to add your “Categories” string there.

Alternatively, you can go by CSS:

Try this out:

span.cat-links:before {
        content: "Categories ";
    }

Here’s how to add CSS: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/

For #2:

You can control what displays on header entry meta.

Say for example, you want to remove the comment links and only display date and category, you can do it with this CSS:

add_filter( 'generate_header_entry_meta_items', function() {
        return array(
            'date',
            'categories',
        );
    } );

Here’s how to add PHP – https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

Randy

1) Weird! Doesn’t display, but the word “Categories” comes in when I copy/paste that line. Hm.

2) I think you mean “this PHP” rather than “this CSS.” I added the PHP to (child) functions.php and it had no effect.

I’ll study up on sprintf since I don’t know what that is. 🙂

I’m also still wanting to style the white text in the hero grid, and still don’t know where to find that CSS you referred to.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

1.) Can you explain a bit on how you’re adding it? Perhaps I could help you spot some issues.

2.) Yes that’s correct. That’s strange. Is your site being page cached by your host? If so, try purging/clearing it.

Randy

The word “Categories” isn’t an issue in that if it doesn’t display, it’s not a problem. Though it’s “interesting” that when I highlight the line and Ctrl-C it shows up in my paste buffer. I would assume it would do the same for you if you tried it (on the same page where you took a screenshot).

By “adding it” I assume you mean the PHP. I’m using “Edit Theme” and pasting it at the bottom of the child’s functions.php file.

I don’t have any caching plugins (don’t use ’em when developing), and my host is my own virtual server. I have an extension on my browser that clears the browser cache, and I do try that before I declare something doesn’t work, though “usually” adding a function works immediately without doing that.

And…

I’m also still wanting to style the white text in the hero grid, and still don’t know where to find that CSS you referred to in your first response.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

The word “Categories” isn’t an issue in that if it doesn’t display, it’s not a problem. Though it’s “interesting” that when I highlight the line and Ctrl-C it shows up in my paste buffer. I would assume it would do the same for you if you tried it (on the same page where you took a screenshot).

Ah i see what you mean. That’s the screen reader text for text to speech engines. 🙂

You can ignore my previous suggestions if you don’t want the Categories label to appear. I thought you wanted one. I misunderstood the question. My bad.

To go back to the question, I’m not exactly sure now what you mean by “spacing”. The categories look evenly spaced, separated by a comma as i’ve shown previously.

I’m also still wanting to style the white text in the hero grid, and still don’t know where to find that CSS you referred to in your first response.

It’s found on Appearance > customize > Additional CSS. Dispatch from the site library adds this custom CSS on import. It’s part of the template settings.

If i remember it right, I believe it’s this one that’s responsible for the color on the hero list.

.wpsp-card, .wpsp-card a, .wpsp-card .wp-show-posts-meta a, .wpsp-card .wp-show-posts-meta a:visited {
        color: #fff;
    }
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.