[Resolved] defer parsing?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] defer parsing?

Home Forums Support defer parsing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dave

Tom, I’m trying to get the speed of my sites down and according to GTMetrix I need to do defer parsing of javascript. I found this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-defer-parsing-of-javascript-to-iprove-performace

Is there somewhere I can put the code from the post here into GP to make it work? In the Simple CSS plugin or in the other part (can’t remember but I think the plugin that allows code added before/after posts, pages etc…)

Thanks
    Dave

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’ve used this plugin quite successfully: https://wordpress.org/plugins/async-javascript/

I’m actually writing an article on performance in GP and some tips to get higher scores. Will hopefully have it done soon πŸ™‚

Dave

Great// can’t wait to read that!

Suzanne

Any news on the performance article?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    Bin

Hello, Tom. Your recommendation regarding .js files is “defer parsing”. Would you even recommend to put ALL GP .js files into the footer? And what about the css files, where is the best place for them (header or footer)? I’m using Total Cache (not autoptimize) … Good Night, Bin!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

All GP JS files are added to the footer.

jquery.js is the only file that should appear in the header, this is because it’s required for a lot of plugins that might not list it as a dependent (GP does).

CSS should be included in the header, as it should load before the structure of the site in order to avoid any flashing of styles.

Let me know if you need more info πŸ™‚

Bin

OK. So I put these files into the header

/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.12.4
    /wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery-migrate.min.js?ver=1.4.1

and all the rest .js goes to the footer (before /body>), right?

Shall I use combine only with Default Blocking OR better with DEFER operation?

Regards, Bin

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You shouldn’t have to put files anywhere – they should be there by default.

Defer should work just fine for those two files πŸ™‚

Bin

Yes, thats right. But I want to combine these 11 GP .js files in just ONE file by using the minify option of W3 Total Cache. I’m using “Combine only” because they are alrdeady minified (by your great effort!). My question is now, if it’s better to set this comined.js file as ASYNCH, DEFER or BLOCKING? Bin

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

To be honest, I’m not sure. Give each of them a try and test your site on pingdom to see which gets the best results πŸ™‚

Bin

Sorry, and what about:

wp-includes/js/wp-embed.min.js?ver=4.6.1

Header or footer?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Probably footer – that’s another core WP file.

Bin

TOM, you are the best!

Bin

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help! πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.