[Resolved] Customizer list of Google Fonts includes discontinued font – Droid Sans

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Customizer list of Google Fonts includes discontinued font – Droid Sans

Home Forums Support Customizer list of Google Fonts includes discontinued font – Droid Sans

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Denise

Hello GP Friends,

In the GP customizer typography section I have chosen to use the font Droid Sans for headings. I thought this was a Google font. But when I search for it on the Google font directory, it is listed as coming from an external source. Yet it still seems to be live on my website.
    — What is the source of the Droid Sans font?
    — Are all of the fonts in the customizer from Google? Or does it use other sources?
    — How can I limit the list to just fonts that are currently available from Google?

https://fonts.google.com/?query=droid+sans

Thanks,
    Denise

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It still looks like Google fonts serves the font: https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Droid+Sans:regular,700

It should be in the Customizer by default.

Currently the Customizer offers system and Google fonts.

Denise

Hi Tom,

Yes, the API of the webfont is still available. For now. But I wonder how much longer it will be hosted. When you do a search in the Google font directory, and then click on the font name, it says it’s only available from an external source: Monotype. And you have to pay for it there. The reason this is an issue for me is that I’m designing web graphics for the site and needed to download the true type font to match the headlines. But you can no longer download the font from Google.

Thanks for your speedy reply. I will mark this as resolved.

Denise

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, very interesting. I’ll look into it and will remove it from the list if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.