[Resolved] customized site, want to copy theme and export

Home Forums Support [Resolved] customized site, want to copy theme and export

Home Forums Support customized site, want to copy theme and export

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JC

I customized a Generatepress site on a test server to my liking using one of the libraries. now I want to install everything as a theme onto my main website.

I tried exporting everything in the export settings, then installed the theme on my new site. Uploaded the file, but it didn’t take on the same look as my test server. what am I doing wrong?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Does your main website already exist/have content?

What did you customize on the test server? Customizer options? Elements? Custom CSS?

For customizer options, you can export/import them in “Appearance > GeneratePress”.

Elements can be exported/imported in “Tools > Import” and “Tools > Export”.

Custom CSS likely needs to be copied over manually.

JC

I figured it out, but since I did so few changes, I just copied stuff over from my test server to the new one.

Does your main website already exist/have content?

Yes, so I had to make sure that everything was done properly.

What did you customize on the test server? Customizer options? Elements? Custom CSS?

For customizer options, you can export/import them in “Appearance > GeneratePress”.

I did that, and I thought it would maintain all settings, such as the Library I used, etc. but it didn’t.

Elements can be exported/imported in “Tools > Import” and “Tools > Export”.

I missed that part altogether.

Custom CSS likely needs to be copied over manually.

yup. I figured that out too eventually.

thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you got it sorted 🙂

acela

New to this theme and love it!

Just wondering, is there a specific reason that the “Additional CSS” that is part of the site’s customization in GeneratePress is not included in the Export/Import process?

Obviously it’s an additional step that most people eventually figure out, but as this CSS is specifically added to GP’s settings during the customization process, shouldn’t it be part of the exported content?

Other plugins I’ve used include their custom CSS with import/export. So, curious if there is a specific intentional reason that it’s a separate/extra manual step of copy-and-paste, or if it just hasn’t been implemented. Or maybe there’s a downside to it that I’m missing.

Thanks very much!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Additional CSS field is a WordPress function so it’s actually not handled by GP itself 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.