🎉 Happy 4th of July! Get 15% off GP Premium with the discount code: 4THOFJULY2020

[Resolved] Customising category pages

Home Forums Support Customising category pages

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sheree

Hello!

I would like to customise my category pages. Nothing too radical, just a paragraph at the top and a featured image for the page.

I am aware of the show posts plugin, however, am I right in saying this will not replace a category page as I won’t be able to go back through all of the posts under that category via a read more button? If I use the show posts plugin, will there be two pages? One for my actual category page and another for my ‘homemade’ category page using the show posts plugin.

I just want the current category pages to look a bit more interesting 🙂

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Sounds like you just want to create a header element to the category archives:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-element-overview/

Here are some examples:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/

And a step by step guide:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/how-to-create-a-page-hero/

Let me know if this helps at all 🙂

Sheree

Hi Leo,

I am sure I am missing something really obvious but I have been trying to do this but I can’t make it work.

I have attempted to copy example 3 just so I could see whether it has worked but still on my category archives for hiking nothing shows up. I have no idea what I have done wrong and why I can’t see the element.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

What do you have under the display rules of that header element?

Sheree

Exclude: Choose
    Users: Choose

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Did you add any content for that page hero?

Sheree

Hi Leo, sorry for my late reply! The content (as taken from one of them demos is)

<h1>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet</h1>
    <h2>commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident</h2>

I have also selected a photo from my media library as the custom image.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

looks like the Header Element is display but without any content.

First thing – do you have any other Header Elements that have a Post Archive or Post Category Archive for their display rules?
    If you do, can you exclude the Post Category Archive: Hiking from them.

Second thing. In your Hiking header element. Remove all of the content you have added and lets just try adding some plain text eg.

Show me the header

Let us know

Sheree

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply! I have followed your instructions and the hero is now showing, however, it is still not quite as I want it to be.

The photo is very blurry, guessing this isn’t because it isn’t the right dimensions, what size would you recommend for a hero? Also I want it to be longer so it is more of a full picture. I do not want it merged. Would it be better to set a featured image in this instance? Can I still overlay text if I use a featured image?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

1. You will need to use a Custom Image for the background – as Category pages don’t have featured images.

2. Size of the image – largest width i ever really use is 1920px. Of course this comes at cost of how long it takes to load…..
    2.1 To increase the height of the Header Element to display more image, you need to increase the Top and Bottom padding. I would recommend using % units for the padding – this will make it more responsive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.