[Resolved] Custom Page Template

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Custom Page Template

Home Forums Support Custom Page Template

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Modern Now

hi
    We have created a page template by copying page.php and then adding the Template Name at the top. This works fine. The issue is that we need it to be with out the Header, Footer and Sidebar areas attached. I know that I can remove them individually under the Layout Meta Box in the Page Edit screen but we want to have this also to be gone as well. So its just a page. Is there a place in GP to manage this, where we can turn off which page templates will receive the layout options?

Thank you
    GL

Modern Now

Hi again, Sorry we are using 1.6.2. I don’t know anything about the 2.1.3 is this a beta or a released update?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

2.1.3 is the latest version of the free theme and 1.6.2 is the latest version of the premium plugin.

What you are trying to achieve is actually super easy using our new Elements module coming up in GP premium 1.7.

We are currently on the beta 2 so I would say it’s pretty stable. Would you consider trying it out?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/beta-testing/

Let me know πŸ™‚

Modern Now

Hi thank you, here is the situation we make a lot of new post/pages and have to always go down to layout and select to hide all of the GP elements and to select full width and to hide the side bar. Can we globally set these items to be off by default and turn them on when we need them?

Or

We used Toolset to create a Custom Type and those type posts do not require all of the GP items so this is where the chore is to always disable them. Can they be set off by default on Custom Types only?

Thank you

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

GPP 1.7 will definitely help you with this: https://generatepress.com/gp-premium-1-7/

However, it’s not possible to target custom page templates.

What we can do is add a couple functions to adjust those options for you based on the current page template. Let me know if you’d like to do that (along with the name of your page template) πŸ™‚

Modern Now

Hi Tom

We already have the premium version and are on 1.6.2… It is not hard to disable the sections however it is difficult to get others to remember. haha

Thereis another problem that is more bothersome that is related to this issue. When using an Elementor Header Template it loads up a footer and sidebar in the edit screen, there is no place to disable them like there is on posts. Neither GP nor ELementor offers the normal ways of deactivating them (such as using the meta box you have provided in the post/pages to disable the parts of the page or in side elementor things like the elementor canvas option etc..) to make it worse the sidebar and the footer are unstyled and there is a bunch of text in the footer explaining to go add widgets (we do have widgets in the footer so this odd)

Replace this widget content by going to Appearance / Widgets and dragging widgets into this widget area.

To remove or choose the number of footer widgets, go to Appearance / Customize / Layout / Footer Widgets.

but the big problem is that when you apply the ELementor header to a page the sidebar and footer come along, they do not directly display but they are in the page and when you scroll too fast or too far up or turn a phone from portrait to landscape these added on footer and sidebar appear and they break the site (plus add bloat to an already bloated page).

How can we disable the footer and sidebar and page title etc… from an elementor template??? thank you so much for your help because this is a real problem and we can’t get out of it.

A great feature for us would be to have the ability in the module disable setting to just turn header and footer and content title etc.. off permanently… I realize this is a WordPress issue requiring the header for the page structure so it’s not easy to do or maybe even impossible but I appreciate GP for its noninvasiveness, hooks, security, and support but just don’t need the site building features anymore because ELlemntor can allow us to focus on modular page design.

Loyal Customer
    Geoffrey Lee

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Geoffrey,

I believe Elementor made it so regular metaboxes no longer display while adding templates. That’s because the templates are supposed to be built and then added to public pages, where you can use the metabox to disable elements.

However, GPP 1.7 allows you to disable elements (like the header, footer, title) on a mass scale. Have you checked out the video here?: https://generatepress.com/gp-premium-1-7/

Let me know – it should help you accomplish what you’re after πŸ™‚

Modern Now

I love the way you have taken the integration of the page elements throughout the site. We have been saying it would be nice to be able to use GP headers or footers strategically thought out the site and even mix them in with Elementor Headers or Footers etc.. When will it be stable? Can U get a download of it?

Also is there anything we can do about the situation that I outlined above. We have a CPT that uses an elementor template and an elmentor header that is conditionally applied and in this situation, we can not see how to add a GP footer to it? Is it even possible to do it with the 1.7?

And if we didn’t want a footer how do we stop the Elementor conditionally attached header from bringing in the footer that we can not remove from its template?

and lastly (it seems comical to try and understand I know) but why is the footer that Elementor is attaching to the header template, not the one we have designed with widgets but rather just the GP colors applied and that text I sent above?

This is the text in the footer
    Replace this widget content by going to Appearance / Widgets and dragging widgets into this widget area.

To remove or choose the number of footer widgets, go to Appearance / Customize / Layout / Footer Widgets.

Modern Now

Sorry if I am not being clear. Here is an example… we created an Elementor Canvas page template as a single post type template. It worked great so and then we decided we wanted to add an Elementor header to it conditionally. To do this we had to switch from ELementor Canvas to their Default setting. This then manifested a mystery footer onto the single template that we cant remove or style? Can we remove this? or can we style it?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1.7 is currently a release candidate. We’re hoping to get it released this week. You can try it out by enabling beta updates: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/beta-testing/

It sounds like the GP footer is showing up un-styled for some reason?

If you don’t want to use the GP footer widgets, you can set them to “0” in Customize > Layout > Footer.

Let me know if that helps or not πŸ™‚

Modern Now

Hi Tom

We are confused on how it works together. We have an elementor single post type template and have an elementor header attached conditionally and want the GP widget based footer. In the post we have allowed footers and they do not show? and when editing the single template in ELementor it is showing the footer with GP styling but no widgets? If you think 1.7 will fix this then great! if not is there any way to add your footer to an Elementor single template

Modern Now

Hi Tom

still stuck on this;
    I am not sure if this thread is the same problem:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/header-footer-problem-new-version-update/

we have created our search template with Elementor and it will not show our footer. It shows the same footer I wrote about in this thread with the GP color styling but will not show the widgets and we can not see where to fix this.

Modern Now

oh man Tom I am sorry I figured it. We are using widget-options to show widgets in specific scenarios and I now realize that we had to enable the footer widgets on the search page. This has been the trouble the entire time. Widget-options is hiding the widgets so it keeps adding that text to the footer with the proper styling. phew!!!

Thank you
    Geoffrey

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, glad you figured it out! Thanks for letting me know πŸ™‚

Jatinder

is it possible to use elements but then design the page with a page builder such as thrive architect? as footer and headers are fine in gp but need more control over whats on the page as i want to add eg podcast links

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.