[Resolved] Custom Font for Generate Press

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Custom Font for Generate Press

Home Forums Support Custom Font for Generate Press

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Oleg

Is it possible to install a font, if it is not the default? The Google fonts are not. Is the installation file on my computer. For example, the font Magistral Black C.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s not recommended – if a visitor on your site doesn’t have the same font installed, they will see something completely different.

What makes Google Fonts awesome is that you don’t have to have it installed on your computer – everyone can see them.

If you’d like to anyways, you can convert it to a web font: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator

Then use @font-face: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/

Jessica

Happy to discover this post.

I’m familiar with using web-fonts (ie: FontSquirrel, importing via the child theme spreadsheet, etc). However, is there a way for it to show up in the Typography area of the customizer so all the different elements can be applied accordingly with that typeface?

(The reason I can’t use the Google webfonts available is that I need to follow a client styleguide and use something specific.)

Jamal

Hi

Please do try this https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/changing-fonts-in-body/#post-138849

Or did you want the fonts to appear specifically under typography section?

Jessica

That’s not what I’m trying to do.

I understand about the inherited property, but that doesn’t work in this scenario if using a font not in the list provided (strictly from Google Fonts). GP only lists the standard fonts + Google fonts.

After putting the one I’m using into my assets folder & importing into the style sheet (my custom child theme), it isn’t recognized in the Typography tab in the customizer. This, if the customizer doesn’t recognize the “other” font, I’ll have to create/edit all custom styles for text usage throughout.

I need a way to have this “other web font” to be recognized in the customizer so I can set it as the base font (once) in order for the rest of the type settings to understand and employ it when “inherited” is selected.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Jessica.
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, currently that’s not really possible.

I’ll have to look into it – it should be possible using a filter.

Jessica

Thanks Tom. I know what I’m suggesting is on the more “advanced” side which was why I checked here first to see if anyone else had done this.

Definitely getting more and more familiar with GP (and loving it) as well as how to work it into my custom projects. This font thing isn’t all THAT common for me as I’m usually not needing to follow a strict style guide but in this case, as I mentioned, I don’t have any options so just trying to see how far I can push/utilize the GP features before doing manual coding.

I don’t use the CSS plugin but rather have a style.css in my theme folder & am adding custom actions/hooks in the functions.php folder. I try not to use plugins for things if I can add a couple lines of code to enable something. However, if you know of a plugin that will bridge this gap, I’m all ears! Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It should be easy enough to add your custom fonts using CSS – having them in the Typography section is definitely a luxury.

It’s a good idea though, so I’ll definitely see what I can do πŸ™‚

Juan Carlos

Hi.
    I don’t know if you finally found the solution. If not, you should try Use Any Font plugin. It works fine and allows you to use almost any font.

Great theme, Tom. I’m using it woth Elementor and I’m really happy. πŸ˜‰

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks! Glad you’re enjoying it πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.