[Resolved] Creating a customized 404 page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Creating a customized 404 page

Home Forums Support Creating a customized 404 page

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jodie

Hi there

I am using the GeneratePress child theme and want to know how I can create a 404 page.
    Currently I am using Elementor’s 404 template but I am in the process of removing it from my site.

I have searched topics here and also the support documentation but still unclear how a 404 page is created with Generate Press

As always I appreciate your help.
    Cheers Jodie

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Jodie,

You can create a custom 404 page by creating a 404.php file in the folder of your child theme.

You may opt to copy and then modify the content of the 404.php file in GeneratePress theme as well: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/master/404.php

Hope this clarifies. Kindly let us know if further assistance is needed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jodie

Hi Fernando

Thanks so much for providing this information.
    So the code that is in the link above, do I copy all that over? That is the 46 lines?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Yes, you may copy all of that, then add your modifications after. This would be easiest to make sure everything works.

You may also create something from scratch, if you prefer. It would be good to include the hooks found in the parent 404 page.

Hope this clarifies. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jodie

Thanks Fernando
    When you say hooks found in the parent 404 page, where would I find them?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Itโ€™s the one I linked: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/master/404.php

It also utilizes this through generate_do_template_part: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/master/content-404.php

Hope this clarifies. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jodie

Thanks very much Fernando.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Youโ€™re welcome Jodie! Glad to be of assistance! Feel free to reach out anytime youโ€™ll need assistance with anything else. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jodie

Hi Fernando

UPDATE : I think I just worked it out! I changed the colors in the button settings in Customize.

I’ve removed the Elementor template for 404 on my site and it has reverted back to the GeneratePress version for 404.

The Search button that is next to the Search field is not visual but when I hover over that space the mouse changes to a hand.

I wondered how I could get the search button to show up please?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Yes, the color should be changeable in Appearance > Customize > Colors > Buttons > Background.

Glad you were able to figure it out! Feel free to reach out anytime youโ€™ll need assistance with anything else. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jodie

Cheers Fernando ๐Ÿ™‚

Fernando
    Customer Support

Cheers Jodie! ๐Ÿ™‚

Arnaud

Dear Fermando –

the 404.php has been added to my child theme.

Then how can I modify the content of this template ?
    I would like to be able to edit the metadata as well.
    not sure how to proceed.

thx

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

can you raise a new topic, and give us a little more info on what metadata needs changing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.