[Support request] Create Basic Page Template

Home Forums Support [Support request] Create Basic Page Template

Home Forums Support Create Basic Page Template

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Darryl

I am not sure what it is you want to achieve, but it sounds like a re-invention of the wheel.

Actually more accurately, it feels like I am trying to jam a square peg into a round hole (vis-a-vis, it seems that I may be using the wrong tool for the job).

Lost 2+ days trying to figure out why the site import didn’t work correctly and another re-doing previous work. Now another 2 days figuring out that I can’t add my sub page nav block as part of a page template to quickly create sub pages for my site, without having to manipulate the child theme php/html…

I could open another ticket and try to troubleshoot the child theme… but thinking long term as I have a -lot- of sites to produce and manage.. and I don’t see myself playing around with child themes / php templates on every site that needs simple layout templates, which kinda defeats the purpose of using a gui editor like gutenberg. I can work under the hood, but I shouldn’t need to. My site is mostly static web pages with the most advance functionality being slider revolution which works perfectly fine via shortcode.

So where last Saturday, I was honestly thinking of upgrading my license to a lifetime license because I noticed the increased depth of your site library and support has been usually been dependable… however, due to the inability to easily create template pages and import/export proving unreliable… I now sit here debating if I should just “bite the bullet” and switch the base theme for all of my sites to an html5 based theme.. which would probably cost me 4+ days to get up the learning curve and re-create my work… but solves many short-term / long-term issues.

Explaining the goal again.

I have a custom sub page navigation bock currently saved as gutenberg block (big red box)
    I used that block to create a GP Element Block.
    I set up the Elements Controls filter to display that gp block with a hook “before content” on all sub pages.

-while “Headline” dynamic content solves part of the problem of changing title on each sub page (small upper left hand box), the insurmountable hurdle seems to be that the gp dynamic blocks can only display a very limited amount content.

Ideally, if I could choose whatever image I wanted for the gp dynamic image block and attach a link & js trigger…. then problem solved. I remain a gp-premium user. But alas… I can’t.. I get a choice three basic images that I can’t manipulate. And I am interested in digging under the hood for getting a menu to display correctly.

My custom Nav Block

So unless, you have an easy peasy solution, I think its time I cut my losses and start checking alternatives.

Darryl

The dynamic block that I am referring would be the central red box that currently says “text” in the image…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you use the GenerateBlocks Image Block you can use its Dynamic Data options:

https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/image-overview/#dynamic-data

The dynamic image – where is it stored ?

Darryl

no such thing

no such thing… the only “hack” seems to be to set a background image, which I won’t do b/c I won’t remember it later…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The block i mentioned above is the GenerateBlocks Image Block:

2022-10-23_13-20-24

And where is the image stored ? Is it the featured image, or from a custom field ( stored in Post Meta )

Darryl

useless

Another fruitless endeavor… any image uploaded via dynamic data, can’t be manipulated (links, triggers, etc, so useless to me)

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

It may help if you explain what is you’re trying to do ?
    Do you know where the image is stored ? And do you have an example of the HTML that needs to be output ?

Darryl

It may help if you explain what is you’re trying to do ?

I have explained myself several times and provided screenshots… not explaining myself any further…

Do you know where the image is stored ?

media library, where wordpress stores images

And do you have an example of the HTML that needs to be output ?

All of this irrelevant at this point… clearly, I have come across a fairly severe limitation with regards to dynamically placing my image.

Add that, to the clear bug in the import/export function for which there still isn’t a solution.

The moment you told me that Tom was on vacation… I immediately decided to spend the cash on a new theme / plugin framework that has out of the box functionality that enables me to place my image where I want. I am already about ~50% through the transition from Generatepress to my new framework…

No offence fellas, I’m just busy. No time to wait for solutions.. I need to get things done, correctly, now.

I already sent a request to not renew my subscription which happens to to expire on Monday (your time).

good luck

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I hope it works out well for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.